The moms who are helping unfortunate families at xmas time...

So I feel guilty asking this. But I volunteered to help on some families as well, until I seen that some of these families would say they want DSis, and pillow pets and stuff. Isnt that just wrong and inconsiderate and even taking advantage? Maybe Im wrong but I would never be able to ask for such expensive gifts from strangers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• Wow, hopefully the kids asked for those items without the parents knowledge?
    Ignore the crazy requests and get what you feel is more appropriate.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No the moms would list what thier kids wanted. Made me sad..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think that it is Rude to ask for anything- whether it is Expensive or Not- They should be very grateful that someone wants to help make their child's Christmas Brighter! Sorry, they have made you feel like you need to back out now- You Tried! If you still want to help; just do exactly how you want to do it & don't worry about all of those expensive gifts they are asking for- Wishing you lots of luck!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was at the mall and there was this "caring tree" where people signed up to get gifts for there kids and I looked at some of these tags thinking maybe I could buy some things...well they all had high end items...like "2 yr old girl wants digital camera", 2 week old baby boy wants games " just crazy stuff requested by greedy parents.....nothing wrong with asking for something simple like baby dolls and teething rings but don't ruin the holiday and get greedy.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I know I am really out of it, but I don't even know what a DSi or Pillow Pet is! We are helping two families, but doing it anonymously, and not through any program at church or anywhere else. We are just getting things we know they can't afford. Some things will be nice and just for fun, but other things they are very thankful just to get, that most of us take for granted. Honestly, these two families can't even afford soap and things like that. They are very sweet, and we know they will be very grateful, because they are like that. I would not be getting expensive, unnecessary toys for people in need, that we don't even spend the money on when we can afford to. I think you are right, and it is inconsiderate and taking advantage.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It is a childs wishlist, My kids want a dsi and a lot of expensive things I let them put it on their list knowing they are not going to get it thats why they make a list so santa knows the kind of stuff they would like to have. If all they have are the expensive things I think it isdumb the parents should be greatful their kids are getting help and have their child also put down some more reasonable priced items.
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 12:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well, children at Christmas don't really know how it works. And I mean a Pillow Pet is 20 stinkin bucks. Just because a childs parent is poor, does not mean that they should get some piece of crap and do cartwheels over it. When I shop for low income families, I try to put myself in their shoes. I don't donate a can of old stewed tomatoes, I try to donate the things to make a pie, or a meal. Have a heart.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010