Are you a SAHM on PA?

I'm asking this because an older lady in the checkout said a lady told her that she's on PA because she want's to stay home with her kids. WTF??? I was at a loss. We watch every penny, pay quarterly taxes, our own insurance, and there are women out there that think it's their right to be on PA, just because they have children, and want to stay home with them???
It's wrong to me, but I want to hear your reactions. Thanks Ladies!
Oh and don't misunderstand, this isn't for those who WERE working and can't get by any other way but to get help. This is only about Moms that want to be Sahms, and choose to get on PA, because they think it's their right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope, I don't stay home because I'm a single parent with no help from the father! No choice but to work, and I'm proud to say that even on my income I figure it out without assistance. I don't think you should stay at home if you can't afford to pay your bills, As far as daycare, if your married, work a different shift than your hubby and there goes the need for daycare... Too many people take advantage and think they are entitled to these services just because they have kids, when in reality they are just plain lazy.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• as a SAHM by choice for years until baby started school now work p/t. Some people don't think before they speak
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• SAHMs have every right to PA... They paid in to the system when they worked, their SO/DH pays in to the system every day he goes to work... How do they not have the right to reap the benefits that they paid for? I would much rather see a mother home with her kids, at least through the early years, than see her go back to work just so she doesn't have to be on PA... It's what's best for the kids!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• $300/month fs. Even my husband's job covers our medical. We don't get any cash.
    Anonymous

• i'm a sahm b/c my dh makes enough money for me to be....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm a SAHM not on any form of assistance. I have this crazy husband that actually WORKS to support us. Such a strange notion, I know, to actually work to support your family.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• OP- It has nothing to do with losing a job, etc... I understand there are always circumstances. What I mean is that they choose to stay home, and then go on welfare to help support the family. In our state, if you're low income, you can get help with the cost of childcare. They promote working, and are willing to help out. I know this for a fact, my sister used it until she could afford the childcare on her own....
    It's sucking our state dry, all of the welfare recipients that are ABLE to work and CHOOSE not to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes exactly Orionsgirl!!
    Same here, my Husband works very hard, and we can AFFORD for me to stay home. There's a huge difference.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've worked since age 16 and paid into the system that helps me today. It's no different than social security, only I'm getting it now. It's not like it's going to be there when I'm old enough for it. My husband works full time and I work part time and I babysit when I'm home. I report all his and my income and we still qualify. What are we supposed to do, not take it?

The real problem is the fact that a person can work 40+ hours a week and still not make enough money to support his/her family. Minimum wage is a joke; if you can even get a job in this crazy ass economy. Cost of living is steadly increasing and inflation is killing us, but wages stay the same or worse.

And the real "Welfare Moms" are the big corporations taking gigantic tax cuts and pulling political strings so they can get out being fair to consumers and workers just to increase their bottom lines. They get millions from the government, I get $300/mo
    Anonymous

• you're... not your.... in my post.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010