Any moms on here that were homeschooled or know adults that were?

Just curious if you liked being homeschooled, resented your parents for doing it, wished you were in public school etc...

newmomma14

Asked by newmomma14 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My two roommates where home schooled. They liked it to a point. The did want to go to public school and their father didn't do it correctly so they didn't get the credits they needed so neither of them have a GED or a diploma. But my Aunt does home schooling with her youngest and he loves it and she does too. Plus she does it so he still gets interaction with kids his own age.
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was raised in a religion that encouraged getting their GED and not one of them made it on to any college. many broke away from the church and are now doing quite a bit differently by their children. I would love to home school and spend every second of every day with my little ones but there are opportunities and extra curricular activities at school that I can not provide for them at home.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• graduateHi I was! I thought it was ok. It's good if your children who are really disciplined and have enough social skills that when they do enter college they know how to enteract and feel comfortable being around people. I started in high school so I went to public school before. I missed school at first then my mom made learning really fun. We went on field trips and sometimes I would go to the park and do my work. It was less stressful. It can be difficult though because you do miss out interacting with kids your age which is crucial for a youth. Other then that I'm thankful for the opportunity.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Home school was something that I had to convience my parents of. It was a choice that was made at the wrong state of mind and for the wrong reasons. It was also not a good idea for the area that we lived. Being that we lived in the country 20 minutes from any civilized town, which meant that I had no interaction with my peers or any outside activities. For those reasons it was a bad choice for me and I am the only one at fault. My parents did what they thought was best for me at the time, only because I convienced them it was the right choice. Now with that said, Home school is a good option if you have the right evironment to carry through. That means access to peers, access to outside activies such as sports, clubs, or even just other home school groups gathering together. You should do it only for the right reasons and that depends on your situation. It's not for everyone, but it is for some.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I started homeschooling during high school. I fully enjoyed it, but was also very good about working by myself. I was one of those that got bored during class in public school, and it was really nice to be able to work at my own pace. I got through with my work much faster. I also already had friends from attending school before and was involved in 4H and youth group. While I loved it, my sister didn't and is now finishing out high school in public school. I think it really depends on the child and how the parents do it.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My husband was and he hated it. There are a lot of different factors involved there though. I know lots of adults who were homeschooled and loved it. We homeschool our children and they love it, and have no desire to go to a school. It just depends on how you do it.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010