Healthy Alternatives for butter

My nutritionist said I eat way too much butter. I need some healthy alternatives for things for rice and vegetables. Any suggestions would help. I forgot to ask her guess I was too upset because I gotta cut back on some things.

rebock

Asked by rebock at 11:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Olive Oil.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They sell "butter flavor" sprinkle stuff for veggies and such. I remember we used to buy it for our popcorn. They have it at the market.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• margarine
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Cook the stuff with chicken broth instead of water...this alone will give it tons of flavor.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Olive oil is better, but it's still nearly pure fat. If you are cutting the butter because of colesterol, olive oil is a great alternative. If you are cutting butter to lose fat in your diet, olive oil won't help that. To replace the fat, I agree with ShouldHaveLeft, cooking with stock is a great alternative. For things like toast, switch to spreadable fruit. On cooked veggies, switch to fresh chopped herbs with a little salt.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Olive oil, coconut oil, there's a yogurt spread, I can't believe it's not butter.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Fresh herbs and spices.
    Dill is very good, garlic, fresh ground pepper, balsamic vinegar, malt vinegar.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I hate the way butter wannabes taste. I eat real butter, I just eat less of it. With the exception of baking, I shave down the required amount of butter in recipes by half. I also substitute chicken broth in pasta sauces and rice mixes.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 8:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Read the book "Trick or Treat" it is all about how "healthy eating" is really making us sick. You need saturated fat in our diets just use less butter and I use olive oil in my rice
    JLWmassage

Answer by JLWmassage at 10:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Chicken Broth
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:44 AM on Jan. 8, 2011