Do doctors or nurses push down on your stomach during a contraction? If so, why?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, they never did.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They didn't on me until after the birth to push out the afterbirth then later to knead the uterus down

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• mine didn't either

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Mine did gently to feel how hard my stomach got I think lol I don't know

Answer by Heidikans at 11:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That would only be done in an emergency and usually never in a hospital. The only time it is routinely done is in the immediate time following the birth to A) expell the placenta...or B) encourage good contraction of the uterus to stop hemmorhage and /or encourage evacuation of the uterus post birth if bleeding has stopped or slowed too much.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They shouldn't, as far as trying to push the baby out. That's incredibly dangerous. But they may try to feel how tight your stomach is getting during a contraction, which is totally different. Post partum, they will "massage" (in the most uncomfortable sense of the word) your abdomen to help your stomach contract and stop the bleeding (lochia).

Answer by musicpisces at 11:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Never did for me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Not to push the baby out, but to push the placenta out, yes. It hurts and I wouldn't recommend allowing that to happen.

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think I would smack someone if they tried that with me! It's very dangerous, and not the way birth should go. A mother's body does NOT need help pushing a baby out like that. The mother's body WILL push that baby out on its own, given time, and without being on a doctor's time schedule!

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No.
    Why would they??

Answer by doulala at 11:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010