Genuine Curiosity Here???

I don't know why I was thinking about this, but now that I was I'm honestly curious...

I know there is a growing number of religious groups which push the "Let God" stance on pregnancy and refuse birth-control... Okay, I can understand that, even if I don't agree. But what I'm wondering is why more of these groups don't also shun other forms of medical intervention.

I mean, for a family with financial issues, an abused wife or a woman who's body won't or can't support a baby without being put in danger herself, an unplanned pregnancy can be quite the devastating upset, just as much as a heart attack or cancer... Which makes me wonder what their reasoning behind leaving pregnancy "up to God" and then accepting other medical interventions such as Chemo, Heart Transplants or Brain Surgery...

I'm not saying I think people should shun medical science, and I know there are groups which refuse even the most basic of pain killers, but from what I have noticed the majority of religious groups which refuse BC are more than willing to accept other forms of medical science...

Is there reasoning behind why one should be left up to God and the other shouldn't? And if so, what is it??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ugh my ex doesn't believe in bc and yeah doesn't want his wife getting an epidural or anything. Sorry it peeves me cause he wants 25 kids cause god told him to procreate. Glad I'm not having 25 kids come out this gina lol. Sorry I have no idea
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I know the Mormon and Catholic do not believe i birth control. One of my friends who is Mormon almost lost her life giving birth to her 3rd child and when I asked her about birth control all she would say was that it is “Gods Will" I'm going to keep my eyes posted on this question because I'm curious as well.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I can't really answer your whole question. This is not something that any church I have ever went to preached/ taught on either way. However, personally I do not feel comfortable using BC. I don't have any issues with anyone that does, it just isn't for me. I am uneasy with the fact that you can you can get pregnant on BC and that the hormones can in effect cause a miscarriage. That just bothers me. Life is too sacred to me to take the chance of possibly ending any pregnancy...even unknowingly. Again, I know that isn't how everyone feels about it, but this is just my personal perspective.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I just wanted to add that I am a big fan of Natural Family Planning. No hormones involved that could end any accidental pregnancy.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I actually started thinking about this because I was reading somewhere that the Duggars have to have their babies by C-Section now. And I was thinking, I can understand the "leave it in god's hands" idea about pregnancy, but then you would think they would also believe in natural birth only. Now, I surely don't want to see this woman die bringing a baby in to the world, but I was trying to understand the thinking of how one is okay and the other isn't. To me, if either would be taboo it would be the one which requires more science... A condom or diaphragm is far from "medical science" IMO, while a CSection is surgery, and can be very dangerous... Why would it NOT be okay to use a condom, because it's up to god, but then when it comes to surgery, the attitude is completely different...

HMMM???

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I can only speak from my experience as a Catholic. But the reason we don't use birth control is much more complicated than "Let God". It's about understanding God's plan for marriage, for sex and for families. There is nothing wrong with using NFP to help space and plan children.
    Sex should be an image of God's free, total, faithful, fruitful love. If you use birth control you are sterilizing this sign of God's love and the renewal of the sacrament of marriage.
    Not using birth control is about what marriage REALLY means and the union of man and women, not just about "letting God" do what ever he wants and being a passive follower. You let God into your marriage to work WITH you and your spouse in the creation of life.
    If you want more info on the Catholic perspective on sex look in Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• asmcbride - I agree. I'm far from a fan of hormonal BC. I'm generally against it. BUT, I'm 9months pregnant now and we were doing natural planning AND a condom AND a sponge... So trust me, I know all about how that stuff can fail...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• To talk about the medical reason for not getting pregnant...there can always be special dispensation from Bishops if the mother or future baby's health is at serious risk. The Church is not dispassionate to the struggles of her children. Like getting an annulment after a divorce.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Uh I'm Mormon and fully believe in birth control check your facts. We believe you need to be able to support your children.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Heidikans, I don't think anyone meant that to be a cut on your beliefs... I know a family who has 9 kids - who can not afford them - and who are Mormon... When I asked the mother (who I'm very close to) what they were doing to prevent things she said they don't believe in BC under any circumstances... I know other Mormons who believe differently, but there are those who are 100% against it regardless of finances or anything...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010