piercing a baby's ears? cruel or a good idea?

My friend's mom wants to pierce her 4 month old daughter's ears and I think its mean not to mention they could end up not being even later on in life because the ears will grow still also they might get infected and that would be no fun for baby :(....what do you guys think?

nandy90

Asked by nandy90 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I DON'T THINK IT'S CRUEL BUT AS I HAVE BOYS I WAITED UNTIL THEY WERE TEENAGERS TO LET THEM DECIDE IF THEY WANTED TO HAVE THEIR EARS PIERCED
    ChosenByGod40

Answer by ChosenByGod40 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• yeah i understand it only hurts for a couple minutes but still i would hate to care for an infected baby's ears while they are in pain and probably wouldn't wanting me touching their ears
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It's not something I would to, but I'm a believer in to each their own =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• yeah and i told her my feelings but its her baby so she can decided i dont know if i would do that or not if i have a girl i will probably at least wait until she is school aged
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My friend pierced her DD's ears at 2 mos and I wish I had done it with my 3 DD's. I was too chicken and my friend's baby never plays with them and they never got infected and they are adorable. I really wish I hadn't chickened out!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Not cruel, but I would never do it, I'm going to let my daughter get older and decide herself, but I don't think it's cruel if you take care of them the way your supposed to. I guess I just don't see the point in it. Of course, I'm also a tomboy.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• if i have a little girl i'd get them pierced i don't think its cruel
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 11:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I am all for it. Everyone around me is against it. I'm glad I had boys and didn;t have to fight.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I got my 4yr old dd ears pierced but we let her decied if she really wanted them or not. We told her that it would hurt but not for long and she still wanted to do it...they turned out great and she is absolutely adorable.
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 12:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had my DDs ears pierced when she was 3 months old and my mom did the same with me which kind of helped me make my dicision. I think to each their own. As long as the parent takes proper care of the childs ears after having them pierced then the risk of infection is greatly reduced. I never had any problems with my daughters ears.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010