Do you spend as much on Thanksgiving as you would a weeks worth of food?

I went and bought everything for thanksgiving and spent the same amount of money for one days worth of food as I would for one weeks of food

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 11:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• No. I don't have to cook. Thankfully the kids' go their dads for dinner. My husband and I will be going out for dinner, as we don't really celebrate it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No, but we go to my MIL's for Thanksgiving. I've already started getting the food for Christmas (will be at our house) so that it's not a huge expense all at once.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No,I don't,the most expense that went out for my thanksgiving dinner was for my ham and even that I thought was not to bad because it was on sale.But then we might not go all out like others do.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 11:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've been buying stuff in advance for a while.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No, I only spend a little more than I would for an ordinary meal. But it also just our little family as no one else is close enough to eat with us. If we were, we'd be eating with them, and I wouldn't have to spend more than enough for one dish, lol!
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We have eight children and my dad lives with us, so Thanksgiving dinner isn't really that much more than a normal meal. We are used to food being our biggest cost. I also keep our cupboards, fridge, and freezer well stocked, so I barely had to get anything extra that we didn't already have on hand.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• When I was cooking for all my kids and their families, my husbands kids and parents...my answer would be close to yes. But not anymore. Turkeys can be bought pretty cheap if you wait for the prices to drop and shopping at cheaper stores helps also. I don't cook for as many as I used to so my answer now would be no.
    CrazyDaisy123

Answer by CrazyDaisy123 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I spent about half of what we would spend per week. I cook everything from scratch basically, but we are having turkey, ham, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, homemade mac and cheese, homemade rolls, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, triple berry cobbler, cream cheese brownies, pumpkin spice bars with cream cheese icing, a bottle of wine, and juice for the kids.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Nope I go to all my families houses but the gas doubles for that pay period
    BriceAllisonMom

Answer by BriceAllisonMom at 12:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It's expensive! I'm having 20+ people here, and I've already spent $100. I'll go to the store again today and spend another $150-$200. My typical weekly grocery bill is $150 or so. (We have a family of 7).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010