My one year old truly doesn't stop crying...

It's not constant, it's off and on throughout the entire day, all day, every day. It's kind of wearing on us a bit. He just fusses, whines, cries, hysterically cries, screams... I think it's different reasons: his teeth, wet diaper, hungry, etc. So I fix all of that but he continues to fuss. Basically I'm wondering if it is mean to leave him and let him cry it out at this age? I feel horrible, and frankly after some time I cannot take much more, so I do whatever to fix the problem, but I'm starting to think that does nothing but make it worse. Am I spoiling my 1-yr-old or just being a good mom?

Thanks!

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, if you've ruled out teething pain, any health issue, hunger, thirst, wet diaper, he could have colic still or just be a tad spoiled if not in mama's arms. I did CIO for bedtime with my son for four nights and it worked wonderfully. After 20 minutes, he'd sleep and has never had a problem since. I'd double check with your ped. and put him in his crib to hang out for a little while at a time by himself and build on that. GL
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Aww I am sorry :( Is there something else wrong? Maybe take him to the doctors? As long as he is not hurting, in pain, wet or hungry, there is nothing wrong with letting him cry it out a little while.. It will teach him to "self sooth"
    AmandaValentin

Answer by AmandaValentin at 12:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My little girl has been doing this for a few weeks now, she'll be one on Wednesday. I give her cuddles as much as I can throughout the day, if I've got to get something done, I try to distract her. I do let her cry/fuss/what-have-you for about 2 minutes, if it's something worth continuing to cry over, I'll pick her up, go read a story, nurse, etc. I'm pretty sure this is normal.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You are SO not alone! My son is 18 months and just cries and fusses ALLLL DAY. Cries when im not holding him, but when i reach out to grab him he runs away crying.. totally dont get it. After a while I just kind of walk away and try and ignore the situation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If this is a phase I hope it passes soon lol. I love my little cry baby but by noon every day I am ready to pull my hair out
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My DS is 1 on Wednesday too! lol. He's been crying for 20 mins now whether he's in his crib or I'm holding him. So I just put him back in his crib in hopes he falls asleep soon. :(
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I went thru a few days of this with my 11 month old.. brought him in and he had a sore on his tonsil and strep throat... so just an idea maybe get that checked out.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think both.. If you are sure there is nothing wrong with him, and he is not in pain, there is nothing wrong with letting him cry it out..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010