What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

what does it mean when you crave ice

right now i am craving ice really bad and we do not have any. i was told once before it means your body needs something but i can not remember what. thanks for all of your help!!!

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 12:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've always heard that if you crunch ice, you were sex deprived. Be that true or not, I don't know...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Generally it means you need more calcium...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Its a disorder called PICA. It can show up during pregnancies, and Ice cravings are usually a sign of anemia, or iron deficiency. PICA can be a problem when the cravings are a bit more odd like cigarette ashes or sucking on pennies. Its worth it to mention it to your doc, and next time they run bloodwork they will check your iron levels, but for the most part, a multivitamin and iron-rich foods will fix the problem.

In the meantime, SONIC fastfood joints have the best ice. Its pellet formed, and softer, so it wont damage your enamel as much : )
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Turn the heat down.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Actually it is a form of pica, although I was always given the impression that pica meant that you crave things that weren't food, like clay or dirt. Craving ice can also be a symptom of anemia. You could be mildly anemic. Just eat more green vegetables and things that have more iron in them.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I never heard of this, thanks for the info ladies!!
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 12:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh, haha... I thought you said Ice Cream... Yeah, Ice is generally PICA... Ice Cream on the other hand is usually calcium... lol! Sorry, I screwed up!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was anemic with my pregnancies and am chronically anemic as well. I craved ice but had to have it shaved as I have bad teeth :( but I remember that distinct craving because I usually cannot stand ice - it's too cold! I also remember always being asked at the Dr. if I was craving clay or dirt and thinking that was crazy! I was never asked about craving ice though! Maybe it's asked now, but back then they might have helped me better had they asked me about ice.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes I had PICA while pregnant.
    Chomped ice constantly!
    I also craved dirt, which is the weirest thing in the world.
    So I ate Rye Crisp crackers, they had what I thought would be the texture of dirt.
    So crazy!
    jenmose

Answer by jenmose at 7:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It doesn't mean a thing, it is just another craving.

Answer by older at 9:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2010