So.. New Law in the making: Smoking around children is child abuse..

Yes, there is a new law in the making, I'm not sure for what states, but it is saying that smoking around your children should be treated as child abuse.. Well.. I guess it kind of is if you think about it, all the damages that second hand smoke does.. Let me know what you think and how you feel about this.

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• good

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think it's great.. because that child sure doesn't have a choice in the matter on if he's going to be breathing that shit in. They need to do this in other countries. I was sitting outside a German hospital and there were mothers in hospital gowns holding newborns and smoking away all around me, it was fucking disgusting.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I 100% agree. I grew up in a house full of smokers and have suffered greatly because of it. My health and well being was put second to an addiction. Second hand smoke is deadly, and its wrong to smoke around anyone that hasnt chosen that lifestyle. Especially children.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am all for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree 100%
    AmandaValentin

Answer by AmandaValentin at 12:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i'm wondering what constitutes 'around children'...outdoors near a play area? sitting next to them? in the same enclosed room/car? what? its a little vague, and i doubt it would pass easily.
    having said that, i do know that its against the law in Arkansas to smoke in a vehicle with a child inside...so maybe its not so far-fetched. IMO, though, its stupid to regulate how/when a person can smoke..yet, not make smoking illegal. that smacks of lobbyists making money for companies..rather than lawmakers protecting our childrens' health.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh wow, dullscissors! When we were in Arkansas visiting my MIL She sat next to my baby in the carseat, and started smoking! I was soo pissed. I took her out of the car until she was done smoking.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Gotta love socialism!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am for it. Personally I am not a smoker, but if I were, I would smoke outside. If for whatever reason I felt I had to smoke inside (Which would be VERY far fetched) I would smoke in a room alone with a vent on or a window open. SOMETHING I mean come on! This is our kids.. I am glad we all agree on this =) and what the heck, I'm going to say this (You can quote me lol) ANY mother who would argue that she should be able to smoke around her children is trashy and a PIECE! BOOYA! lolol
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If parents can't be smart enough to not smoke around their children then there should be laws to protect their children-I am 100% for this!!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2010