Parents go to jail for childrens absence at school? A little harsh dont you think..?

I agree, parents should deffinately keep an eye on their children, but to be put in jail for their childrens truency??

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This has been going on for 25 years (I know it was going on when I was a kid) so why is it just becoming an issue now? Parents ARE responsible for getting their young children to school.

NOW, that said, once a child is 12 or 13, an age when they should become responsible, that responsibility should be theirs and their parents shouldn't face charges... But the child still should...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• OH I've already been threatened with this for this school year. they sent home a letter saying if she missed another day that i'd face charges. i brought it back to the school board (not the school cause they aren't the ones making the rules) and showed it to them, then ripped it up and threw it away. Said to them if they'd keep the LICE down in the damn school then she wouldn't have to miss so many damn days.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• So, if the parent is in Jail, who is going to be getting the kids to school?????
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• When I was in school, if I skipped class it wasn't the school that I would have been afraid to deal with-it was my parents!!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Katy675-I did that with my teen and got a letter saying if he miss one more day of school I would get a $200 fine. I am the one reported it. I use to take him to school, walk him to his first class, I couldn't stay because I had a toddler, then as soon as I left he left. I did everything I could do, they kept telling me that I had to make sure he was in school no matter what after the fine I could go to jail. He was 16 at this time. I couldn't keep him in hs, so I took him out, he got his ged, then went to college.

Yes for the younger kids parents should get some kind of penality, but in jail, I think is too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• NO I don't think that's harsh. It's YOUR job to make sure your kid is in school. Most schools now days have programs where you can log on to check your child's grades and attendence. If you see that your kid is skipping then you need to take measures to STOP IT.

And if your kids are young and you aren't taking them them to school then you SHOULD be held legally responsible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes, I agree, parents need to be accountable,. Our sons are older now but when they were young, their asthma began acting up every year just as soon as they started back to school. After being well all summer, they would get sick within a few weeks of going back and then it would turn into bronchitis. They both stayed sick for the most part, until school was out again. Schools are germ heaven, especially elementary! I had to take them to the doc and get antibiotics every time, so I always had doc excuses. which really seemed to annoy some of the teachers but hey, that's the way it was, it's not like I had any choice. I still got a few threats in the mail but I would call and say you have the excuses, they would say, oh we know, it's just that we have to send out the letter, don't be concerned... (okay, that makes sense, huh?)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yeah, they are enforcing that in my town right now too. I posted about it the other night and got alot of responses. I will give you that link.

If this works, its here:  Should parents be charged

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Parents should be held resposible for where there children are and you can bet mine were in school. I always felt that if my children left the school grounds without permission then I would report them to the truant office.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I hope if older kids (HS) are involved that the student receives locked down time too. For younger kids, parents should be held fully accountable.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010