So.. I was watching Extreme Makeover tonight....

And this family of 7 was on there... this couple had 5 kids.. 4 of which were austistic.
They were "assured' by Doctors that Austims wasn't genetic and they are now the biggest family with the most amount of genetically related children... they range from Severe to average functioning.. so.. My question, Parents out there with genetic dispositions or children who have already been "blessed' with your genetic trait/quirks or dispositions, what are your thought to these parents who have been "assured" by these parents ... or any other parents for that matter?? I am a mother of an "only" currently going through the early child hood system and am terrified to have another child...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I personally feel it's completely irresponsible for the DOCTORS to give that kind of assurance when medical science has proven different. In a recent interview the acting Chef Director of the CDC stated that one major factor of Autism is a Mitochondrial condition, but that it then needs triggering... Now, regardless of what people believe that trigger could be, or even if this is the honest to goodness answer, this is the stance the Medical community is taking on the matter... So for their doctors to tell them differently was wrong. Now, I am going to assume the doctors didn't have all THIS information because it is newer, but the stance prior to this was that the cause of Autism was completely unknown, so again, to assure this family of anything different would be irresponsible.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Now, as for the parents, I can't say I would think less of parents who chose to believe their doctors when they said there was no genetic reason to worry... But I couldn't do it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well hear in lies my "issue" 3 of the 4 children were pretty severely autistic, even the youngest whom was 5 years old and the only boy ( as some people feel gender is an issue ) is completely non-verbal, that being said, my other question is also, the older is 14 the youngest is 5.. clearly there is an on-going "trend' to gentics in this family.. why.. why .. why., or what makes you want to contiue to risk this?? not that Autistic children "aren't " worht it but.. I think most peop[e get where I am going twith this question...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't agree with it personally. I feel like these parents are very selfish and care more about wanting to have children than they do about the quality of life these children will have... Sooner or later these children will not have mom & dad to care for them, and are going to end up in a home or hospital or living with the "healthy" siblings... None of which are happy options for them. To me it's just not right to choose your own happiness over theirs. But like I said before, it's not for me to decide...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I feel the same way.. I have 1 child who suffers at 3 of "moderate" anxiety and going through the "system" for that.. at 3.. you just know something is different with your child that could psossibly hinder your child from something they coudl get help from.. what I saw was 14 years to 5 years old and 5 kids in the mix.. that to me, was very sad to watch.. I mean, this mother seemed like she was very concerned an considerate of each childs needs, but as a mother, aren't MOST of us of our childs "needs" ?in certain areas?? I am already terrified to have another given our current financial state and economic state and mix in his possible future needs,.. I just can't see how someone could or would possibly have more and more and more children because they "dreamed " of a house full of kids..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010