Does anyone else have memory problems?

I am only 30 years old so I don't think it's old age just yet. :) I have a hard time remembering things! I was recently talking to some one I worked with in 2001 and they made a reference to some thing funny that went on then and I had no idea what he was talking about. Not just that, but when people talk about things in high school, most the time I am lost. I barely remember things from when I first got married. I remember things pertaining to my kids, but most things are a blur. Some times I can remember things happening but I don't know what year it was. Is this normal? Don't know if it makes a difference, but I am bipolar and some of the things I don't remember happened when I was either really depressed or extremely manic.

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's normal. You have been through several major brain development phases since back then, and that always eliminates old, unused memories.

People who tell stories of yesterday and years gone by are more likely to remember the stories because they're constantly reinforcing them, but when you haven't thought of something for years, the connections between details in your mind are long gone and hard to find on purpose. Some of it is still there, but not much, and not firmly connected the way it was.

You're busy and only stuff you think is important now will hold...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• confusedI can't remember... sigh...

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Really, I do have some memory issues. It's really worse when I am under stress.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Hmmm...I forgot the question....
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It is normal. I completely agree with LindaClement's post! I read this article a couple years ago that coined it "momnesia", no kidding! So, add a ton of new things you're learning as a mom + sleep deprivation during the growing years (esp. when they're young) + other daily stressors + age increasing = memory loss. There are ways to enhance memory like adequate levels of sleep (hard, I know) as well as writing things down to reinforce things in your brain and breaking routines each day to mix it up (increases new brain synapses; eg. driving a different path to work). So far, these have been helping me....
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 3:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I definitely do. I am only 32 and my grandma has better memory than I do. I'm not kidding! People have told me that it is stress or depression that causes it. I have trouble remembering short-term things and I also have trouble remembering things from my past or childhood, and even some of my daughter's childhood (she is 13). It's frustrating and it scares me to think maybe I will have alzheimer's when I get older. I find myself writing EVERYTHING down anymore. I tried to keep a journal, but I don't get to it every day. I definitely know what you are going through. Keep your head up. If all else fails, ask your doctor
    smiles551

Answer by smiles551 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't know if its normal but I am the same way, I have anxiety depression and recently diagnosed ( at 31 ) ADHD. that I think all contributes to all my "memory loss" but I only seem to remember years at a time so now, withour son, I am writing a journal
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I used to keep a journal, but I haven't done that in a while. I may have to start again. I looked back through some of my old journals once and it scared the crap out of me that I couldn't remember that stuff!
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well my son was colic, chroic constipation, BF and and FF intolernant and intermally angry til he was 2 ,which was why at 4 months I started the journal, to hope to recognition or consistancy or something to help me but.. No luck.. he was ust the physically hardest non medically challenged child EVER lol!!!!!!!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have a bit of memory trouble, mainly when shopping for groceries. I HAVE to have a list, even if it is for only 5-10 things!

I am going thru menopause but thyroid issues has really been the main issue from body pain I have to the short temperedness. I thought I was having mental health issues and went to see two different doctors and both agreed it was my thyroid levels. Which are just under control....barely......but my main DOC upped the dosage.

It could be you were going thru an emotional time. My Mom was bi-polar and she though could remember quite a bit, other times she couldn't, or let's just say, her perception and our perception was not the same and we all remembered things different.

Being you are so young, hopefully your doctors will keep up on your medication and all will remain OK.

I agree a bit with the comment above me by LindaClement
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010