teething & ibuprofen

My 9 month old DS has been teething cutting 2more teeth on top. He wakes up in re middle of the night crying in pain. I was advised to give him ibuprofen before bed. The box says do not give more than 2 days.

How do I handle this? Im scared to give it to him now.

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 12:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BABY TYLENOL .. That's what I used if my daughter cried a lot from teething and they say it's really safe
    BShip2010

Answer by BShip2010 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• How often are you giving it to him? If you give it to him every 6 hours for two days straight, then yes you should take a break and give his stomach time to calm down. ibuprofen is digested in the stomach, so prolonged use could give him stomach pains or issues. If youre just giving one dose per night, i think you would be fine. Im no doctor, though.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Im confused about tylenol. Ive always been told to rotate between motrin and tylenol when babies are in pain to lessen the damage on the liver and stomach. Also because each medication works in particular ways. Anyway - nowadays every single bottle of acetaminophen now says not to use before the age of 2. This is ever since the tylenol recall recently.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Call your pediatrician or talk to your neighborhood pharmacist for advise, because they don't recomend you give otc meds to babies. You can always take ice finely chopped and wrap in a wet washcloth and let him suck or bite on that (you hold it for him, don't want him to choke on ice) and this should help with temporary numbing or buy orajel and rub his gums.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think what they're trying to get at with the 2 day duration is in case your child has a fever and it lasts more than 2 days, you should talk to your child's pediatrician in case it is a sign of something more. It is also another way for manufacturers to protect themselves by announcing to you that this is what they recommend, which is always conservative with regard to duration, etc. Certainly, do not exceed the maximum amount of ibuprofen in a day. What you can try is a combination of things to reduce the amount of ibuprofen your son intakes if that alleviates some of your concern. You could try letting him chew on a cool, damp washcloth or use a teething toy or wafer/cracker during the day and save the ibuprofen for when he needs it more (eg. about 30 minutes before bed). There is also acetaminophen (Tylenol(R)) that you could alternated with, too (again, do not exceed the max dosing per day). HTH.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 12:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The reason for the alternating is to get continuous pain relief because you can only give ibuprofen every 6-8 hours, and tylenol every 4. According to our boys Dr....
    Ibuprofen is an anti-inflamatory so it will probably work best. If you're scared to give anything then I suggest calling your babies Dr.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Thank you ladies! I only give ONE DOSE at night before bed. But my question is how long is safe? One wee? A few days? I will call the Pediatritian tomorrow thank you!
    mercilove

Comment by mercilove (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If all else fails, you can call your local walgreens 24hour pharmacy and ask the pharmacist anything you need to, thats what I would do in your situation. =) GL.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:37 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I alternate between tyneol and ibuporfen, If he's teething really bad before bed, I give him one dose of tyneol and then 4 later I give him ibuporfen, he seems to be doing just fine. And if it's a mild teething day I just give him regular orjel. NO baby stuff, it' doesn't really work.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010