How can I explain to my metally disabled sister that she can't walk around dressed in........

a pink see through nightgown with no bra and granny panties on? Its embarrasing enough when she does it around the house in front of my husband ad I but lately she has been going outside to the mailbox and the laundryroom like that. She is my roommate and is mentally about 9. I have already told her she shouldn't but she just says "uh huh" and then does it again 5 minutes later.

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 1:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would toss or donate the nightgown and take her to target or kmart to choose some appropriate new sleepwear asap
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately hibbingmom if she does that...the sister may start walking around naked. Honey because of her disability, she's not understanding what's wrong about it and she probably never will. You may not be able to do anything about her doing this in the house (give my condolences to you ever patient hubby) but maybe you can install child safety door latches so she doesn't go outside.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• throw out all the see-thru stuff and take her shopping for some cute cartoon flannel PJ's. if you allow her to pick them she will be sure to love them and wear them. good for you for being such a great sister too!!
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i say take her shopping and get some cute non see thur pj's ........or a little dramtic but you could have a local police man come and talk to her about what is ok to wear out side and what isnt.....scaring her might stop the behavior.....and honestly it sounds like she is just finding her sexuality and exploring....be understanding but firm with her......good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Tak eit away from her? If she has the mental capacity of a nine yo, she shouldn't even have lingerie, right?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010