If you had a friend that spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself

How long would you allow that person to be your friend.

(I like this question. I have to ask myself this all the time!)

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 1:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is a really good question! Wow. Hmmm. Honestly, I probably wouldn't be friends with her. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who was so hard on me.

That just brought out a big realization for me. I am too hard on myself. I feel like if I take any time for myself, I'm selfish. I'm also too critical of my body, and if someone said the things to me about my body that I think sometimes, I'd never talk to them again, lol. I'm always picking out my own flaws.

But on the other hand, I encourage myself a lot and reassure myself about the fact that I'm a good mother and wife, and even if I'm not perfect, that I'm still doing pretty well. And that would be nice to hear from a friend. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I probaby wouldn't be friends with that person for very long. I'm SUPER self critical and also tend to devalue myself as a person.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• That IS a good question! I wouldn't be friends with the person for very long as I, like LovingSAHMommy and JadeRDragosani, am WAY too critical of myself. My DH gets upset with me about this and one friend gets very mad at me when I start to put myself down in front of her. I am trying to stop the vicious cycle, but it is such a long, hard habit to break. Still, I know it is worth it to reform this self condemnation....
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 2:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh, good question... I don't believe I would be able to keep a friendship going w/a friend that was so hard on herself and didn't want to change. Makes me want to better myself now! Thanks for the question.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 3:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Um well I dont' have any friends so this is a bit easier, but I am passive by natre and often wish I could speak up for what i REALL.Y want to say to others..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would have that friend forEver!
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In a good or bad way? I am confused
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Great question, thanks for the self evaluation thoughts now ;-)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 3:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not for very long, I don't always say the nicest things to myself.. I would NEVER let a "friend" talk to me like that!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010