too much baby cereal?

It's not always easy to get my infant(7 months) to take his formula so he goes through alot of cereal---like 4 oz worth of formula at the most. He does solids 3 times a day. I was told to go by cues. He is plenty hydrated btw. I was told by wic and pedi that he is moving away from bottle more and into solids. I am not concerned as much with the baby food as I am giving him way too much cereal because of the iron. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Then offer him real food. Formula still SHOULD be his main source of nutrition, though. No solids until after he's had his bottle. Then, offer healthy table foods... steamed veggies, soft fruits, brown rice, whole oatmeal, poultry and fish (no shellfish)... etc...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You are suppose to mix the cereal with the formula until it's about the same thickness as applesauce. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• try sippy cups for formula if he doesnt do the bottle and offer him different solids
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Formula and/or breastmilk needs to be his MAIN source of nutrition until 12 months. The people at WIC are idiots, just fyi. 4 oz of formula per day is NOT okay. And rice cereal is an unnecessary food. It has no nutitional value what so ever. You should always give formula or nurse FIRST before offereing solids. At 7 months, solids should be a dessert. They're for practice, not for nutition.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 6:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would say that it depends on your baby, Mine is 12 months, and we stopped giving him rice cereal and now he's onto just milk at bedtime, but every baby and mother has a different rountine.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2010