How Can they Project?

The news stations are projecting the winners but how? Example, in PA only 18% of precincts have reported yet they project Obama as the winner. What about the other 82%? Do you think when they do this it causes voters in other states to stay home since someone has already been projected as the winner?

bonn777

Asked by bonn777 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no idea! I was wondering the same thing!

like 10% are in for a state, McCain ahead with like 55%...couldn't the other 90% of the vote put Obama in the lead? vice versa also, I've seen it called for Obama with McCain only a small margin behind.
    Anonymous

• Yes and this is a major problem.. This is why they tried to say Gore won the Presidency when he didn't.
    Anonymous

• It should be simple wait til each state has all there precients in and them give the winners. It still puzzles my they do things a$$ backwards. Geaux McCain
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 9:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• then* sorry for the typo
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 9:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Well I live on the west coast and we always know who basically won the presidential race hours before the voting closes here. (Well the Gore/Bush thing shocked everybody.)
    Anonymous

• yea it can go either way really.... i still have hope!!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I wish they wouldn't even count the votes til the following day!
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 10:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• no, it doesn't have any bearing on whether or not people turn out to vote.
    they can project who will win the state based on key precincts that have reported.
    here's some basic info on projections:
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2002/pages/how.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I don't know either....I know that IL was one of the early ones called for Obama but every time my local news ticker comes on it shows the votes for IL being nearly 50% and only 40% of the votes in...

The local news said that IL was called early....so I don't get...... I've seen them call states for one way or the other but say that 0% of the vote is in....weird....

I hope that we just don't wake up tomorrow with a different president-elect like we did in 2000!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• The presidential elections are based on electoral votes, regardless of whether all the votes are in or not. It is won by 270. Once it has exceeded that amount then the new president is announced
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 12:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2008