What meds can I take for a sore throat that are safe while breastfeeding?

I've got a sore throat that is also swollen with some drainage. I'm making an appointment with the doctor tomorrow but I need something to help me get through the night, can't sleep cuz I feel miserable. I'm breastfeeding and I'm not sure what I can take. What would be safe?
(I've been drinking a lot of fluids, mainly hot soup.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Health

• I'm assuming that any kind of coughing spray would contain too much alcohol. I hope you find something soon!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:27 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Just to relieve the soreness, ibuprofen or acetaminophen work well and won't really pass in the breastmilk in substantial quantities. However, if the pain is due to the (nasal) drainage, then you'd want to take something to stop the drainage, therefore, the irritation. Unfortunately, it could also have an impact on your breastmilk production, therefore would NOT recommend diphenhydramine or claritin. HTH
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 2:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There are these cough drops called Fishermans Friends...the taste if very, very strong but they are natural and work like a charm.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010