Phantom Creepy Crawlies

Every so often, I get phantom creepy crawlies on my arms and legs. A disclaimer: I've never done any drugs where I felt this same sensation, so please, keep those answers away from this post as they are not relevant.

Sometimes, I'll look down at my arm when I feel something "tickling" it and nothing will be there. Other times, there will actually be a bug or something crawling around.

I caught scabies from a friend of mine a few years ago. That experience was NOT fun. I think they might be phantom scabies feelings. There's also the fact that when we first moved into our current home, we were constantly catching bugs in the house. We finally got a new door and everything was resealed (as well as the AC ducting fixed).

Am I going crazy when I feel these sensations?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 2:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Health

• It could be a mental thing - residual fear of bugs...
    OR, it could be something else. I have fibromyalgia and along with the pain, the Creepy Crawly feeling is a normal thing... So it could be physical too...

I would say that you're not crazy though...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have those feelings and i once had a bug problem like the one with your door. I say its mental as I am in relatively good health and afraid a DR will think I ma nuts if I ask lol!
    aSoldierSWifE44

Answer by aSoldierSWifE44 at 2:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It's a nerve thing just like RLS. Talk to your doctor but other than taking unhealthy meds the only natural thing you can do is constantly rub or massage those parts that tingle or feel crawly. I know that this alleviates it in my legs.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It probably is a nerve thing like "ShouldHaveLeft" said, but you could take magnesium supplementally to help with nerve function, and I agree with her about the massage thing as well. Also, it could be just a hair falling out that brushes up against the other hairs, but I really think it is a nerve thing though.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i agree with sabrina
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have that problem every now and then. I wonder if it isn't a hair that fell off a brushed your arm on the way down. I don't think that much about it most of the time. I don't think it is related to RLS (restless leg syndrome) since it is not happening all the time. It could be the type of thing where you hear someone has lice and your head starts itching. I can totally understand it just being freaking out if you had scabies. That is one nasty bug.

By the way RLS can be help if not cured by chiropractic adjustments. It is usually caused because of a pinched sciatic nerve.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 1:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks, Sabrina. Sometimes it's as simple as a strand of hair. The feeling is still the same.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sometimes it's a hair and sometimes it isn't.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2010