Has anyone ever taken sleeping pills?

What kind and how often?

My husband was perscribed some a few days ago because he's been having a lot of trouble sleeping. Well, since he's been taking them (was on Lunesta before this new RX, now on Ambian) he was acting very strange. The day after he took them he would do things out of the norm... Act funny, say weird things, just do different things. It's like he was here, but not all here. Then the nexy day (after not taking them that night) he couldn't remember a single thing from the previous day. NOTHING!

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Health

• It certainly sounds like it. I really wish I had some advice, but I had to completely quit taking the the darn things because they just made life more complicated.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 3:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't know about myself - no one has made any comments to me. I am prescribed Trazodone (100mg) at night. I haven't actually taken them for weeks, but I will if I really want to sleep and not wake up a little bit later.

I would make sure his Dr. knows about these side effects. That is not normal!! Also, has your DH tried to take Melatonin? It's a natural supplement that our bodies already make so it has no side effects. I would suggest taking it for a week and then taking 2-3 nights off and taking for a week again. It's not habit forming but your body CAN build up a tolerance to it. It is also short acting so if he wakes in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, he can take another one to get back to sleep. Talk to your Dr. about it. Many are now recommending this instead of meds. GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The memory loss actually is NORMAL. Believe it or not. I was shocked. I was reading the attached paper that always comes with the RX's... the side effects paper. Yep, bold print. May cause memory loss.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Comment by AtHomeMommy-3 (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I was on ambien for quite awhile. I don't really remember how I acted on it, only that after a couple of months it stopped working. Instead of making me sleepy, it made me normal. If I didn't take it, I would be super jittery and all over the place. So I stopped taking it, dealt with not sleeping for awhile, and saved it for when I really needed it and just took two or three. Not reccommended, I made some phone calls, etc while on it and I don't remember a thing. Kind of scary.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 3:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yeah, that's his problem too. He takes 2-3 and doesn't remember crap, but 1 is like taking a candy, does nothing but keep him awake. He's stuck in the middle right now I guess.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Comment by AtHomeMommy-3 (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010