is it normal to spit up after every feeding

my daugher is 2 months old and is spitting up about a 1/8 of an ounce after every feeding when she burps. sometimes she spits up an hour to 2 hours after a feeding.. am i feeding her too much? not burping her enough? or is something else wrong?

SingleMommy10

Asked by SingleMommy10 at 2:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For some babies yes. But if its a very large amount you might want to consider changing formula if you use formula and talking to your doctor. My oldest spit up a lot after I stopped BF but it was almost the whole bottle so we took her to the doctor and found out she had a lactose intolerance.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 3:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• my baby does this as well..he was diagnosed with reflux. Talk about it with your babies doctor. If she is fine when shes spitting up and gaining weight fine they call that a "happy" spitter, its just a laundry issue..but if she is uncomfortable they will prescribe meds to reduce the acid. make sure you keep her upright for at least 30 mins after she eats, dont bounce her around or anything for 30 mins too, keep her elevated at night by raising the mattress. I'm going through this with my son who is 5 months now, I have alot of information and experience if you need to message me :) http://infantrefluxdisease.com/infant_acid_reflux/
    if your nursing:http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html also some great information!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Both my boys spit up when they were babies. It stopped once they started rolling over and could move on their own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My daughter did this at least one feeding a day but she did it right after the feeding. I looked up your answer on the net and if she's doing it several hours later, then that means she's not digesting the formula properly and it's probably giving the poor little one a horrible tummy ache or, she's allergic to the formula your giving her. Talk to her doctor. My daughter stop the throwing up after I changed her formula.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Spitting up is normal. Why would every put a burp cloth over their shoulder if they didn't expect at least some spitting up?!? As long as it's not a lot (and it sounds like it's not), it should be fine. If it becomes excessive, you may need to change formulas or something in your diet if you're breastfeeding.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• spit up is normal.. however they do have drops you can give that removes gas.. My son had to have them because he couldn't get rid of all the gas.. so he had to use that in each bottle.. it was preventative maintnance.. till he was a year old.
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 9:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Some kids spit a lot and aren't bothered by it in the slightest. My DD was one of those babies. Look at her with a funny face and she would spit.

Her brothers, on the other hand, we in considerable pain. They had moderate-severe reflux and needed medication. The younger one's breath smelled like stomach acid until we got it under control.

It sounds like your baby is more of a happy spitter. Put a call into your pediatrician if it is still worrying you after all of these answers.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It could be tricky to pin point. My son was diangosed with GERD at 6 months, however, recently we discovered, that he isn't allegric to milk, but for the longest time he was having soy mik, and now we think he got an upset tummy from it. IT may take sometime to pin point, but if you feel there's an issue press it with the Pediatrician!
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My 5 month old spits up a lot and cries for a good 10 minutes after every feeding. Took him to the DR because of it and he has reflux. They put him on some meds and in the two weeks since it has gotten much better, now it is only a little instead of half his bottle when he does spit up. The DR told me that most babies will outgrow it. Talk to your DR.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would feed less more often, so if she is eating 4 ounces every 4 hours try 2 ounces every 2 to 3 hours, this is what they told me with my son but it ended up being the formula and he had to switch to soy
    angelgrl5200

Answer by angelgrl5200 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010