Spanking: Which side of the fence are you on?

I am a firm believer in spanking.. Not too hard of course, but not to soft either, if you are to soft they will not take you seriously, and if that be the case, you are only teaching them to hit. =( You must find a happy medium, and it's more about things that can actually hurt them, or are a danger that I would spank for.

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm a firm spanker... It's to the point where all I have to do is SNAP and POINT and my little knows he's in trouble. It's straightned him out before he got bad. :)

A+ for spanking in my book.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am not to sure. I do believe sometimes they need it so they do take you seriouse but then when we spank they pick that up and think hitting is ok. Believe me my 3 yr old started hitting at preschool so we have a house rule now NO HITTING OR YELLING...the yelling is hard but since we stopped spanking ( really tapping) she has not hit anyone. She still acts up and really bad so i dont know what to do...That is a hard question...
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't know yet, DD isn't quite 2 so it hasn't come up. I think I'll try a lot of other things first, she takes things pretty seriously so far.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 3:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• God, that is a hard one. I don't want to spank and try very hard not to. I believe that it keeps kids in line, but, speaking first-hand, I know that I feared my parents because of it and didn't really talk to them due to that (not that I was always getting spanked but the fear was huge). I think that there were plenty of times that things could have been handled better by just telling me why what happened was wrong, like why you don't put a peanut butter sandwich in an 8-track player. That being said, I do believe that there are times that call for it: running away to hide in a store, running and getting too close to the road/parking lot and other potentially dangerous situations. I agree with Mrs.Norris in the spanking telling kids that hitting is okay, but I do believe in slapping on the hand when kids are being bad. My DS has been seriously acting up these last 2 weeks and is making me question discipline, though.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 3:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I don't believe that hitting another person is right - regardless of how small they are.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Good answer Dr. Donna,!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If I think my kids need it I spank. I don't have to do it alot though. I think it's because the spanking works for me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I believe in spanking.
    It is a rare occasion I ever had to do it, but if I needed to, I did.
    jenmose

Answer by jenmose at 7:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Every child has a perfect punishment. If it is standing in the corner then do that but sometimes spanking is the only way to go. In my family spanking was the punishment fo me, bt my brother you could spank all day and it would have no result so they put a rake in his had and made him rake the yard. It worked for him. he would stand out there and cry the whole time. So i believe you need to find the right punishment to fit your kids.
    chicmom85

Answer by chicmom85 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Wow...what an unexpected group of answers. I figured this would be the typical judgemental, arguing, nasty-fest that usually results in the questions on hot topics. Kudos to everyone who answered here.

I believe spanking can be an appropriate discipline. But it should not be used as the first response, only as a last resort. And then talk to your kids about what happened and why. Reassure them that you love them. Remind them of the difference between hitting out of anger and spankings. Obviously, it shouldn't be more than a couple swats and never done in anger...always be calm when administering. But other methods can and do work. Have a good mix of consequences and see what works best for your family.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010