How many of you kept your own last name and why? When you got married?

I kept my last name when I got married because I feel women give up a lot in a marraige and I felt like I was keeping a part of me when I kept my name. Thats my reason anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• The only reason I would not take his name is if it was a really awful name (I can't even think of a good example) and he didn't want it either.

I took his name because I never felt like I was giving up anything by getting married, but gaining a whole new part of me. My husband gave me his name, I think that's pretty special.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree with pp. Another reason not to take his name is if you have a child from a previous marriage and you don't want a different last name than your child. I loved my maiden name but equally love my married name. We gave one of our sons my maiden name ~ Wyatt.
    Anonymous

• My husband took my maiden as a second middle name, we all have the same name set up -- lets say his name was Smith, mine was Jones... I am Heather Marie Jones Smith, He is Jared Martin Jones Smith. It's not hyphenated, Jones is a middle name. (Both of our names are long enough that hypenating looked like a HUGE mouthful and didn't flow nicely) I thought our choice was special, it keeps the tradition of taking the "man" *insert chest beating* name... but we feminized the tradition a bit! He changes his name too. Our kids all have the same naming scheme. :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My husband is also adopted and has not decided if he wants to back to his birthname so I kept my last name until he figures it out.
    Anonymous

• I hyphenated it....Its something I thought was a mixture of my maiden name and my new life/name :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i totally got rid of my maiden name. but i am a very old fashioned kinda girl. i feel that the greatest gift he ever gave me was his last name. it truly means alot to me
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 11:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I know someone who got married, and kept her name. Her husband actually took his name. They did not know, and still don't know who his father is. His mother gave him the name of her live in boyfriend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i have been wanting to ask this question for a while...because the man i want to marry is a smith!
    i'm not old fashioned enough to want a boring last name like that just because it is his. so i came up with the idea that we should both take a different last name.- make one up if we have to. i'm not sure if he's gonna go for it but i guess we'll see... otherwise i'm just gonna keep my maiden name.
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 7:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I kept my maiden name at my husband's suggestion. He said that the tradition of the woman taking the man's name started because the woman would become the man's property when they got married, and he said that was not the kind of marriage he wanted. He also said that he fell in love with Sally [my last name], and that is who he wanted to be married to. Plus, he didn't want me to deal with all of the hassles of a name change. I really like my last name, so I am glad I kept it. Our sons were given his last name, but hubby insisted that they have my last name as a second middle name.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 12:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009