Should cells be allowed in school?

While I agree they are a distraction, and they should not be played with in class, I still think it is important to have a cell at all times, you never know what can happen.. what if there was a school shooting, or a bomb threat.. I would want my child to be able to call 911 from wherever they are hiding.. You never know..

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Agreed. I don't like the fact that my kids keep their phones on silent instead of OFF while in school. But hey, if anything ever happened and EVERYONE'S phones were off, they would be the one kid to be able to call for help because they didn't listen.

I will not let my kids leave without their phones. Even if it's to school.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I guess I disagree...I don't believe kids need them at school.
    Somehow we all made it through school and most of us didn't have phones.
    I know the world is a scary place but educators and adminastrators have phones in case there is an emergency.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I honestly don't think that cell phones in school are a necessity. They cause far more distraction than they provide security. Just my opinion.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No. Cells can be carried to and from school, then remain in a locker throughout the day. There is no valid reason for a child to be carrying a cell phone while they are in class. If something horrific happens, I'm confident that a teacher would be able to call the proper authorities.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Our school allows them but they must be off, even for the teachers. I don't think they add to the security of the school.

I grew up in the age of school and pay phones. We had lock downs and bomb threats every so often and our parents dealt with it.

Yes, it is scary, but what if that "lifesaving" phone goes off where a student is hiding and alerts the problem to that student. It can be just as much a problem.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• no, cuz they 'd use them discreetly to play and not listen to the teacher.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Our school district has a phone chain in case of a school-wide emergency. Administrators call the classroom parent volunteer & that person calls everybody else on the list. If somebody can't be reached, the volunteers call the administrators to let them know & the administrators call the emergency contact numbers. It has worked flawlessly for bomb threats, school lockdowns and early dismissals due to weather conditions. A child doesn't need to carry a cell phone in school & having one at hand can be a major distraction or a source of cheating (internet access, phone aps or texting to friends for answers).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yep. There is no reason that cell phones shouldn't be allowed. In case of an emergency they can save lives. Between classes or at lunch there is no harm in having even a random phone call. And to be honest a text message during class isn't much different from passing notes accept that there is no reason to disturb the entire class to pass it... Should students be on the phone during class? Of course not. But let's face it, the students who aren't going to pay attention and spend class texting, and the same students who (in my day) didn't pay attention and spent class reading & writing notes to their friends.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think they should be able to bring their phones to school. But I do see how it can cause distractions in the classrooms. It's a double edged sword.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 3:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with you...not to be played with but to use in emergencies. In my daughters school last yes a boy was stabbed and killed and they put all the kids on lock down for about four to five hours. Had it not been for the fact that my daughter had a cell phone, I would have gone nuts.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010