SAHM VS Working Mom: Which is better for your children and why?

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 3:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Both hubby and I are stay at home parent's. We prefer it to be that way. We're home with our kids all the time. We get family time together and we're able to raise our kids fully. No sending them to day care, grandma's house or baby sitters... We're home with them every second they are home.

We love it and our kids like having mom and dad home too.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• being a SAHM is obviously better for the children.. but sadly, i'm a SAHM and I miss working and having a life outside of changing diapers.
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 3:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You've got to be kidding! Why on Earth start this kind of Mommy war so early in the morning?

Both situations have benefits and costs for kids, moms and families. The best of all possible situations is the one where kids are well cared for and the parents are happy and stable. How individuals work that out is entirely up to them.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• well, DHis Active army, which means that he leaves at 4 AM andis home around 4 PM, plus if he were o deploy ( notlikly in his MOS) It is best for my kids that I be a SAHM s that I can be a constant in tier lives!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There is not a one size fits all for every family. I am a working mom and that is what works best for us. Not everyone can/wants to stay home. I really never thought about not working. I had my maternity leave and went right back to work. My sitter who has had both of my kids (5 and 3) since they have been born, loves them like her own. They are starting to age out of being w/her so much and I think there will be tears all around. What works best for your family is great, but that is not what will work best for mine :)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am a SAHM, but I also babysit during the day. It works out good, I make a little extra money. Still here for my kids in the evening
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If the children are loved, cared for and happy - it doesn't matter if the mother works or not. I've been a working mom and a SAHM - ALL of my kids were raised by me, even if they were in daycare. It's a privilege, not a right to stay home with your children. Not every family can do it. It doesn't make anyone better or worse as a parent.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Hey it just depends on what you can buget, and if your child needs you more at home vs the money things like that. Good luck, hope everything works out for you!
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 9:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• For our family, me having a career is best. I was terrible at staying at home. My son is happy, my dh is happy, and I am happy. I do not raise my son though. My husband and I RAISE our son together. He attends preschool while I am at work 9-2.30. I pick him and we are usually homw by 3 pm.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2010