Does anyone have something that works??

Does anyone have any hints/suggestions on what to do if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep to bring on sleep so you don't have to stay up the rest of the night???? I have been waking up anywhere around 12:30-2 am and lay there for 1/2-1 hr and then finally get up. I take a melotonin tablet/calm (it's a magnesium supplement from GNC) and sometimes sleepytime tea but then I wake up at 6 am so... drowsy if I had been able to get back to sleep. I just wish I didn't wake up through the night. Anyone take these or other things, hints maybe BEFORE bed would help to sleep through the night, or what do you do??

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 3:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Health

• allergy pills knock me out

stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Honestly? When I have a hard time sleeping I pray. Not so much for sleep, but just enjoy a quiet moment with God.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 3:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• warm milk actually helps me
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately, allergy pills work but they aren't good for you. Melatonin also works but since your body makes it naturally, when you start adding it from an outside source, it causes an imbalance in the natural production. And, of course, we all know HOW WONDERFUL prescription meds are for this problem...NOT!!! I have the exact same problem and have actually gone as far as to mix my own natural herb batch of teas and it works all the time. Email me if you want one of my recipes.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 5:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 1 benedryl at bedtime keeps me sleeping through the night. It's perfectly safe. My doctor recommended it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would try some relaxation yoga before bed, and when I wake up in the middle of the night, I start to pray, because I never know if it is God's way of waking me up to pray for someone... or sometimes I just read till I fall back asleep, or listen to soothing music and do more relaxation stretches...
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• it takes me anything up to 2 hrs to fall asleep once i wake in the night too, i try and take my mind somewhere 'nice' and then the next thing i know its morning
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010