How can I encourage her to crawl?

My DD is 8 months now and she's very anxiously trying to be mobile. I would love to encourage this. I let her roll around on the bed for long periods of time and she loves it, however I've been told that she wont learn to crawl properly unless I put her on the floor. That way she'll learn not to bop her nose and as a result she'll keep her head up and crawl properly. I've tried it and I can't stand her hurting herself like that. Am I being overprotective and in process hindering her development? How can I help her? How was/is your crawling experience?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 6:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give her tons of supervised tummy time. Put a toy or safe object that interests her just out of her reach on the floor. She will try to get it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• lots of tummy time. She hated it at first but got used to it.. now she wont sit she likes to stand. help me. lol also your lil one will get to it when shes ready.. just give her tummy time often so she gets used to it.. and remember not every child is the same, every one develops early or later than others.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 6:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• tummy time on the floor or bed?
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 6:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Put he on the floor in the middle of the living room floor. That is the only way she will learn.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sorry "her"

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Tummy time on the floor. I used to lay a big blanket down on the floor and just my kids roll and scoot across basically all day. They loved it. Also, try some toys that would encourage crawling. Some that come to mind are balls (they roll, they will, hopefully, try to follow it). We also had a motorized duck that squeaked and played music as it moved across the floor. They make lots of toys to encourage crawling and many of them say it right on the packaging. And I believe they do work. Most of my kids were crawling by 6-7 months or so.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had a hard time getting my son to crawl. It took till he was almost 12 months to get it. He was always just rohming the house trying to army crawl and then got on his hands and knees one day.
    What may of helped is I actually got on all 4's and showed him how to do it, and made it fun game to start crawling after him, he really likes that.
    But, lots of tummy time will help as well, just let them explore everything.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son took FOREVER to crawl..but he started crawling (backwards) standing and walking within a two month span. It was crazy, once he started he just did everything at once! I agree with the other moms! Put her on the floor surrounded by things she wants to try to get...its hilarious to watch and will help her muscles strengthen as she tries to get to whatever
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2010