if your spouse would commit suicide if you left what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I think that would present the perfect opportunity to bring up the idea of getting some help--together. I would tell him that if he felt that way, he was too dependent on me for mental and emotional stability. I would also tell him that I love him too much to want to see him die, but at the same time, fear of his harming himself is not a good basis for us staying together. I would then tell him that I can see how this could be a good thing for both of us but that it is far too big a task for the two of us to handle along, and I think we should seek solid marital counseling and see if we could salvage the marriage. I would say that we should give it at least 6 months to a year. These kinds of problems in marriage are deeply rooted and often go all the way back to childhood and upbringing and how well we were nurtured and taught in our formative years. Help is available. Marriages can be made better when folks are willing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Have him committed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If he is suicidal he will do it whether you leave or not. I wouldn't let him use that to keep me.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 7:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Seek help, infprm, let somebpdy know he said that. (marriage counselling office, family doctor, police, family members) And then leave him anyway if that is what you need to do. Let him know he can't keep you by doing silly threads like that AND if he goes through with it ... IT S HIS CHOICE! You din't kill him!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 7:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• First I'd have to wonder if he really would... if it's something he threatened, I probably wouldn't believe him... usually if someone is gonna do that they won't tell anyone beforehand...
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 7:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'd think he was manipulative, abusive, and incredibly selfish. I would leave anyway. If he is truly in that state (highly unlikely), I would have him committed. That's the oldest trick on the book, don't fall for it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• we came close to divorce once he went nuts.
    chicmom85

Answer by chicmom85 at 7:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You mean threaten to kill himself if I left him?  It would not stop me from leaving.  I would tell him "Threats will not make me stay with you".

Answer by louise2 at 7:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with scuba

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My first thought would be "no you won't", but you don't ever want to test someone who says that, because you never know how seriously they feel, or maybe they've spent a lot of time thinking about this beforehand and is just looking for an excuse to do it, or finding the courage to do it. I would try to talk to him when he isn't so upset and then call a doctor or the suicide hotline (they are available 24/7) and get him some crisis intervention. I hope you can find some way to help him.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 9:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2010