my 21 month isnt talking.... he just grunts help

he is very smart, he knows what you are telling him and he will listen, we read to him, most nights and he listens to all the kiddie shows. he just wont talk.

2ndiapers

Asked by 2ndiapers at 7:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will be patient, if you are concerned talk to his doctor.

Answer by older at 7:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He needs early intervention speech therapy. Start by researching your county services. Two of my boys needed it and one had speech therapy at home for less than a year, the other had speech therapy at home and then at school for years. They both speak beautifully now. My daughter seems like she won't need it. All the county will do is start with an evaluation at your home to determine if he needs speech therapy. Good luck.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• ditto on Amybaby's answer!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i had the same concerns with my now 23 month old when she was around 18-22 months. her pedi said she should be speaking 50 words and she was only doing 20-30. she wouldn't tell me when she was thirsty she would point to the fridge and start whining, same with other things she wanted.

we set up speech therapy with early steps and it was a free service to us. however, overnight it seems the words and language came and i can not get that girl to be quiet now! she passed her speech eval with flying colors. she still doesn't speak clear as a bell, but the important thing is she speaks. a lot! the clarity im sure will come sometime after her 2nd birthday.

anyway im sure yours is fine too. the grunting is actually a good sign that he knows how to communicate in some form. it wouldnt hurt to get him evaluated though to ease your mind and it's free usually. the words will come! good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• he will just give him sometime
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 9:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He will they are tricky. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2010