dh wants to give my kids what they are asking for for xmas yet we don't have enough money for what they all want..wwyd?

my 8 yr old wants a red wii w the mario game and wii sports included $200,my 13 yr old wants a Ipod touch $200, My 14 yr old dd wants a bunch of gift cards dh is only getting $350 for his xmas bonus this year he's so hard headed I don't think I can talk him out of it but where in hell is the money?? I think we should get them something we can afford and have the money for and my kids are just going to have to be grateful for what they do get I don't mean to sound harsh about it but tha'ts alot of money that's $600 most ppl's budget for the whole xmas..I don't want my kids growing up and being like him thinking they can have whatever they want all the time...NOT GOOD! What would you do in my situation?

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• I would talk to them and explain that this year Santa is strapped for money.......

Answer by older at 7:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Is their anyways for you to breing the presents back before Xmas, if he buys it anyways.

Answer by louise2 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• ya just take them back but I think he needs to compromise and understand we don't have that much money but my kids will feel bad because he's already promised he's getting it..That's where it becomes difficult
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Why don't you buy a WII for all 3 of them to share? One big gift for all thge kids and then use 150 left over to buy smaller gifts.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 7:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Your kids will get over it. One of the best lessons that we can teach our children is that they don't get everything that they want. And that NEEDS out weigh WANTS even at Christmas when money is at hand.
    Your husband needs to be woken up to reality.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Could you look at www.care.com and earn some of the money needed with a part time job since he already told the kids they would get those gifts? There are several categories and some of the jobs are temporary. Use the pulldown to see the different categories. Just an idea.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Op I remember being a child and having a Christmas with no money, my father went out of his way to get us what he could, to this day those so called insignificant gifts I will always treasure because i saw and learned how hard the money was. Your kids will not be scarred for this, they will learn a lesson in love.

Answer by older at 8:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Why does this mean so much to your husband? Does he feel like less of a provider if he can't get the kids all of the extravagant stuff on their lists? It sounds like helping him see why it is so important to him might make a difference in his attitude or even yours. The bottom line is that if the money is not there, how will he pay for the gifts if he gets them without you? Will it be a credit card that you can afford the payments on (no, not best option, but it could be an option nonetheless) or would it be to use the money you will need to pay the bills? If it's the later, go over the budget together and let him see the money is just not there. As for the kids, why not let them know that things are tight this year and that they should make a second wish list with more reasonable items.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Its sweet that he really wants to make his kids happy. But he truly needs a reality check! Giving them big presents now and not letting them know how hard it is to make that happen in general is going to open the door for them to continue to want expensive gifts all the time. I agree with the WII to share! and EMPHASIZE share! Or have them as a family pick out a big gift so one child doesnt feel like they got what they wanted while everyone else was left out!!! Smaller gifts may just be the way to go. Its obviously not going to be possible to make everyone happy! GL with this one!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• What good are the gifts if they don't have a roof over their head?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2010