Saving money!

Whats your favorite way to save money? Do you make your own cleaning supplies or laundry soap? Do you use reusable products vs throw away ones? Any thing you do to save some money would be greatly appreciated.Looks like I will be staying home for another 6mths while I finish my degree, I just want to be able to make it a little easier on one income.

Thank you!

mom23ks

Asked by mom23ks at 7:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I find and use internet coupons, create a menu and stick to it - helps with the grocery bill...
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• We eat lots of leftovers, sometimes I make my own laundry soap. We also go through our bills perodically and look for ways to cut them down ... i.e. cell plans, cable promotions, insurance bundles, et cetera.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I buy the bulk packs of meat and divide them up and put them in freezer bags, use any coupons for stuff I do buy, if it's not on sale or not a good price on sale I don't buy it,I buy like bigger sizes of everything for cleaning,laundry so I don't have to buy it so often it's cheaper in the long run,I choose the cheapest cable pkg,I cook what I can afford to cook I don't buy seafood,chicken breasts (unless they are on sale),I buy bulk pkgs of hams for sandwhiches and american cheese slices, I buy big bags of cereal instead of a bunch of boxes that get eaten up in 2 days,I mop my floor w bleach and clean w it cuz it's cheap,I don't buy fancy shampoos,candles or anything else that scents ur house if you clean it it doesn't stink I feel food is where we all need to save and it's where I save. I set my heater at 68 and turn off lights not being used we limit our shower time,if we don't need to go somewhere we don't go we stay
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• home and save what we otherwise would've spent.
    chica679

• I have started meal planning, and BOY that made a difference! I also got a deep freezer as an early Christmas gift so I am going to start buying in bulk! Other than that unfortunately I dont have a serious strategy. I know down to the dollar how much we tend to spend on the nec. monthly and I shop accordingly. We dont keep lights on when were not in that room....and although I am not a huge fan of left overs. Mostly because I get sick of eating the same thing over and over, I do eat them and hubby is always glad to take the previous nights dinner to work for lunch!!!

sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I buy my chicken and ground beef in bulk. I plan my menus, use coupons. I also buy alot of offbrand. Most tastes exaclty like name brand, your just paying for the name. I fix alot of soups during the cold months. That lasts us a few days.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes I make my own cleaners and laundry detergent. One batch of laundry detergent costs about $3.50 and lasts for 6 months!!!!!!

I shop at Aldi's and farmers markets as well as grow my own food. I freeze or can what I can. Reduce the meat servings....1 pound of beef will feed a family of four one meal.

Switched to CFL lights, hang laundry outside or in the laudry room instead of using the dryer, save water from sinks and tub when waiting for hot water and reuse for drinking, cooking, watering plants.....repurpose and re-use what we can. I roll newspapers and secure with toilet paper tubes for firestarter logs in our fireplace.

Use cloth for baby wipes and "paper towels"
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I save money by doing a written budget. That way we rarely over spend. =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I save money by using concentrated products. I also work from home and that saves us money, by me not having to commute, etc. I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 20 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2010