Reading my 7 year old a bedtime story

My df thinks that I should not be still reading my 7 year old , (whos going to be 8 in march) a bed time story. Well my mom read me stories till i was about 9 or 10 most of which were bible stories. What is your opinion on this?

lnkforever

Asked by lnkforever at 8:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you both enjoy it what does it matter what age they are?

Answer by older at 8:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There is no good reason to stop reading to your child. Its good for you and great for them. Bravo to you for doing it!!!
    chicmom85

Answer by chicmom85 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Read, read, read!!! It is wonderful for both of you. Don't stop until the child suggests it. It is one of the best things you can do to foster togetherness and success in school. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I still read to mine and he will be 8 on Saturday!! Continue to read to your child there is nothing wrong with it!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I remember reading somewhere that one of the biggest mistakes parents make is to stop reading to their child too soon. I wish I could remember where I read that, I think it had to do with the child's education and success in school, and whether they became readers as adults. If you both still enjoy it you should definately keep it up.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Keep reading! It teaches children to love reading, develops a child's vocabulary and language skills, fosters a close relationship with the reader. What wonderful discussions you can have, and the things you can learn together are endless!  I remember one teacher who read a chapter a day to her sixth grade class and it was the highlight of the day.           www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Maybe you could stop reading to her and have her read to you!!! That way you guys are still reading and you can listen to how great shes doing because of all the reading you guys have done! My mom did this with me and it was great! HAve her get some books from the school library (like AR if her school participates in that) there are so many great things that come from bed time reading so with this I would tell your DF to shut it!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• To - sweetstkissez22- Thats kinda funny cuz i did tell him that its not up to him to decide when i should or shouldnt read to her. And also she reads to me all the time. Any time she wants. She even makes up her own stories. She writes her own stories. She applies her own pictures. She has homework that consists of reading a chapter in a chapter book. So i know its really helping her.
    lnkforever

Comment by lnkforever (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If you want to read to your child until they go away to college, there is NOTHING wrong with it!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Reading aloud to children is one of the best ways to help them with their own reading. Even as she reads to herself you can choose things that are too difficult for her to read on her own to read too her. It's a great way to promote a love of reading and help kids develop comprehension skills and advanced vocabularies. You can tell your DF you win on this one!!!

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010