My five year old won't stop eating!!

I have five year old daughter. At her last check up she weighed 34 pounds. She usually has a pretty normal appetite but the last few days I can't get her to stop eating! Yesterday, she had a bowel of cereal for breakfast. At school, they had a Thanksgiving feast where she ate vegetable soup, cornbread, and apple crisp. The teacher told me she probably won't eat lunch because she ate so good during the feast. As soon as we got home she started whining about being so hungry and ate 1 1/2 bowels of chicken corn noodle soup. She then took a 2 hour nap, as soon as she woke up she wanted me to make chicken nuggets! I told it was only 4:30 and she needed to wait, she started to cry. I gave her some cereal to tie her over. About an hour later she ate another bowel of Chicken Corn Noodle Soup. at 8pm she was hungry again and ate a bowel of steamed broccoli!
I just don't get it! Is she going through a growth spurt? Do I need to be concerned?

TurboMom81

Asked by TurboMom81 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like a growth spurt
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 8:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't be concerned she is probably just growing through a growth spurt I have gone through this with both of my boys!

TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Doesn't sound like something to worry about to me. She's tiny, not even close to being overweight. It's one day, she's not eating junk food. I don't see anything to be concerned about at all.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It could be boredom I know thats what my daughter attempts to do when shes bored. Shes 7 now but she did the same thing at that age. I agree with the posts above. Could be a growth spurt and At least its not junk food!!
    lnkforever

Answer by lnkforever at 8:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sounds like she's growing. My children all did/do that when they are going through a growth spurt.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt to me! All good, healthy food, so I wouldn't worry. She'll probably eat like that for a few days and then level off again. One thing you might watch for, though: sometimes their arms and legs will hurt during a growth spurt because of the growth.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Thank you for the helpful advice. I guess I got scared because my little brother started eating like crazy at the age of four and ended up weighing 650 pounds at the age of 23! HE's had gastric By Pass since then and now weighs 295. I jusat don't want that to happen to me children.
    TurboMom81

Comment by TurboMom81 (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son is a twig and he eats like a horse sometimes. Some kids just go through phases where they are hungry. As long as you are offering healthy meals, and she is getting plenty of active time and rest, don't worry.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My daughter will always eat more and sleep more just before she has a growth spurt. She will eat like mad for a few days and then eat nothing and the next thing you know, we are shopping for new pants!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• maybe a growth spurt
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 7:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010