What to use to get smell out of an outhouse?

I've been watching a lot of disaster movies and shows lately and while the plots are great (sometimes) this is a topic that NEVER comes up. So if you are in a disaster where all modern technology can only run on whatever batteries & solar things you can find/rig and there is no longer any plumbing after digging your outhouse what would you do to stop the spread of disease and odor?
I've thought about planting strong smelling flowers around it (they will be well fertilized) but that would only work for a few months....any ideas?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Use lime - sprinkle some in after every use and it neutralizes the odors and restores the PH in the ground.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• OMG this one i will have to research never thought about it ....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes, lime, that should help!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well I was thinking that if you had the chance to raid a store (which if there was a plague like in the BBC show Survivors and it will take 3 days for diseases to set in the city) potpourri might work, cat litter would work, but is probably bad for the soil.... makes me wonder what people used years ago..,.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010