Child not getting enough sleep.

My daughter is 7 and she goes to bed EVERYNIGHT at 8pm. Even on weekends and holidays. Sometimes she has such a hard time going to sleep. I really think this might be affecting her schooling. I read her a book every night. I even tell her when she has trouble sleeping she can read one after I leave her room as long as she shuts her light off when shes done. I tell her to read one because I know reading makes me tired. Sometimes I sit in her room with her in hopes that it will help her fall asleep. Sometimes it works and some times it doesnt. She has allergies and sometimes when they act up I give her triaminic bedtime medicine to help controll them On nights when she has no symptoms and she cannot sleep she gets mad when she asks me if she can have her medicine and I tell her no she cannot have it just to fall asleep. Does any one have any suggestions on tips to help a child fall asleep without medication?

lnkforever

Asked by lnkforever at 8:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is she getting enough activity during the day? Maybe giving her things to do to wear herself out would help and a warm bath right before bed. If she isn't allergic to it try lavendar, it is supposed to be very soothing. I use a laverdar baby was on my son at night. Johnson and Johnson baby ash is hypoallergenic so maybe it won't bother her allargies.
    chicmom85

Answer by chicmom85 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Talk to your doctor about giving her melatonin. And reading at bedtime for some children doesn't make them sleepy it actually wakens them because reading stimulates the brain.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• To - twinsplus2more- your right about reading books stimulating the brain, never thought about that one
    lnkforever

Comment by lnkforever (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Chicmom is right - Lavender is great for relaxation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Warm milk with honey, soothing music, massage, meditation... there are a lot of routines and little tricks..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• This might sound counterintuitive, but maybe she needs a later bedtime. Keep the bedtime routine, but if she's not falling asleep at 8, try 8:30. We had to do this for our kid.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Reading means brain is working and lights are on - stimulation! When I was a kid, I could stay awake reading for hours! I'd stop sitting in her room with her - it sounds like this "I can't sleep" thing gets her attention. And I totally agree with you regarding medication. I'd make bedtime BED-time - lights out and resting quietly. Consider reading in a big comfy chair in another room, then brush teeth and climb in to bed. We don't read after bedtime - lights out at 8 pm here!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Change her bedtime routine and maybe set a time limit to how long you will stay in the room with her. I really like the idea about changing her bedtime to 8:30 too. Good Luck!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010