To let them cry or not?

When you lay your baby down for their nap do you think you should let them cry them selves to sleep or rock them to sleep. I let my son cry. I think it helps him to work it out for himself. He won't depend on me to fall asleep.

chicmom85

Asked by chicmom85 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I rocked mine, I figured they would do enough crying in their lifetime, so why add to it when they are so young. This age goes by too quickly and they will eventually learn to do this for themselves when they are ready.

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• it honestly depends on the child i think. my oldest needed to be rocked til she was 1 and a half! i think that was partly my mom's fault for spoiling her to death, first grandbaby ya know? then my 2nd was super attached to me, but she started sleeping thru the night on her own around 6 months and if she cried when i put her down it lasted for 5, 10 minutes at the most and she was out. and my 3rd, well i just got lucky with her. she actually refuses to fall asleep if you hold her or rock her. she just wants to be put in the crib and left alone when it's time to go to sleep, and has been like this since day one. when she was newborn i'd rock her for so long and she would just stare at me lol but as soon as i put her down she'd be out in minutes. she's slept thru the night since 3 months and i've never had to let her cry because she never did. but i think it's ok to let them cio if all other needs are met and no longer than 10min
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Neither. If my child cries then something is wrong, and if she needs rocked then she isn't tired enough to need a nap.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 8:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Depends on the age. I did do cry it out when my kids where about 6 mo. I knew they were fed and dry and tired. I never let them cry for longer then 30 min. If they did something was wrong. Mine never cried for longer then 15.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree w/ you! My l/o cried at first when I'd lay her down, but now she's very independent, and will go to bed on her own. She may sing herself to sleep sometimes, even at 2, but she does great at bed time.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 9:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I am one to let them crY! By 8 monthes they are in a solid sleep schedual and I have no sleep issues!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I started off with some rocking and combined it with letting them learn to put themselves down. Crying it out was very beneficial for my children. It didn't take long to work through it and the value for the children was way worth the difficulty for me in hearing them cry. After all, it really isn't about me, is it? They have always slept very well and through the night quite early.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 10:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes, I let them cry but they never did scream their lungs out or anything. They were so used to the same sleep time routine over and over that they knew the cues and went to sleep very easily. Enjoy!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:24 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Loved to rock my babies occasionally especially when new born, but IMO rocking a baby to sleep every time is a huge huge rookie mistake!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I dont rock mine...but my son always seemed to fall out without a problem..Now that hes two and fights bed time tooth and nail he has to lay there and throw his tantrum. I think Ive just been lucky as far as the CIO issue. My daughter hasnt ever cried for more than 5 minutes. Shes out like a light by then!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010