What is with the spoon?

I've noticed that in tv shows and a lot of kids groups kids are given spoons to spread jelly, peanut butter and other spreadables. I was wondering what happened to toddler knives? In the 70s I used one, in fact my brother used one in the 80s. (my old one) they were dull as can be and couldn't cut anything harder than cooked carrots, but it did spread things. And we were supervised. So tell me why can't I find them for MY child and what the heck is with the spoon idea? I've tried spreading stuff with a spoon and it makes a big mess....

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I guess parents are afraid of such a weapon!

Answer by older at 8:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have no idea, my guess is liability reasons, for those children who were, unfortunately, unsupervised.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My kids just used a butterknife.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My son has had his own knife since he was 18 months old. It came with a pack of toddler silverware. He's also known the proper way to hold any knife since he was 2, at least as far as carrying it goes. We're still working on how to cut things.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh my gosh, didn't you know that toddler knives & plastic knives are WEAPONS!!??

Seriously though, yeah, that's the reason behind the use of spoons. In many schools, including the ones in our district & every neighboring district whose parents I've spoken with, knives are outlawed because the kids might hurt each other with them. If you send one in your child's lunchbox, you'll get a phone call because your child will be suspended for bringing a "weapon" to school, even if it is only one fo those super dull toddler spreader knives and your kid is 3.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have a couple toddler knives that came with sets. The whole "ohmigod! You can't give a toddler a (dull) blade!!!!" thing is pretty stupid.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Not sure.. BUMP!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• There are boxes of "disposable" silverware at grocery stores that have thick kinves, forks, and spoons. They've very thick, which is why I question them as disposable. But they're really cute. the spoons are orange and have Tigger on the handle. The spoons are yellow and have Pooh on the handle. The knives are pink and have Piglet on the handle AND they're really wide so they're great for spreading. They're durable. They come in a box of maybe 6-10 settings (can't remember because we bought them so many years ago). The knives also work great for playdoh tools.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2010