What are some ideas for stuff kids can do during the winter months to keep them entertained?

I live in Maine where it is cold and snowy, so getting outside with both kids is a challenge because of the crazy weather. It's not so bad for my 4 year old, but my 1 year old can't be outside as long. I'm looking for some fun ideas for crafts, games, ideas, for things I can do with them to keep them entertained while we have to play inside. I have a 4 year old girl and a 1 year old girl. Thanks ahead of time for your help! :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am partially disabled so I am limited with the activities we can do. We typically make our own playdoughs, tornado bottles, and other crafts such as painting which also gets my 18 month old involved with teh activities with my six year old. We do indoor picnics on the floor and my six year old gets to be creative with teh setup and the food is easy clean up finger foods for my 18 month old to share with us, string cheese is great with this one. Since they are girls, tea parties with dolls and stuffed animals is good too. Multi-game packs for the Wii are good too. We have wii sports and Chucky Cheese game arcade. A little pushing it for the 18 month old but we found a wii mote just for her and I can play with my older girl.
    playing tigers or bears and making a den with pillows inside a den made with sheets over bed posts and chairs is fun too, and comfy plus gives good snuggle time with those active kids that dont snuggle.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• My favorite is pinecone bird feeders. Just need pinecones, peanutbutter, birdseed, and string. The kids really loved helping find the pinecones and finding branches to hang them from.
    chicmom85

Answer by chicmom85 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You can bowl with pop cans or empty water bottles and a ball of aluminum foil. You can have a "camp out" in the living room. Make tents out of blankets and kitchen chairs. Throw some toys and books in there, and the kids will help keep themselves entertained. You can make pizzas, cookies, etc. Make Christmas/winter decorations for the house. Get washable paint, and the large paper tablets and let the kids paint. I like to go to second hand stores and get cheap clothes and let the kids play dress up. Get cheap make-up and fingernail polish and let them up make you over. Have them recreate their favorite movie scenes and tape them, if you can. Make cookies/brownies or other goodies for the police/hospital/firefighters who have to work on the holidays. My kids saw the Barbie Fashion movie and now have they make fashion shows out of crazy concoctions of the clothes they have in their closets. There are lots of ideas.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Make them a play house with a card table and a sheet. Give them coloring books and games to play in their house... Put the dog in there with them.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 10:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010