How many more?

I mean really! How much longer are they going to drag their feet while children die in these houses?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/11/ap-fort-bragg-infant-deaths-112310/

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 8:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Nice excuse of that person to say a death toll of that size is normal in such a large community. I'm sorry, but 11 unexplained infant deaths is not the norm. There's going to be a lot of finger pointing and nothing done while deaths occur. Servicemembers and their families were exposed to contaminated water for 30 years in LeJeune. Is housing privatized down there? Did the military take the lowest bid contractor who used the cheapest and most toxic materials to renovate (if that was done) housing? This stinks to high heaven.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• All military housing is now privatized to the lowest bidder now stateside. They've questioned whether the contractor used Chinese drywall, I'm not sure if they've ever gotten a straight answer.
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I live here, and there isn't a shit ton of ppl moving off post. This is a huge post. With lots of babies born a Womack. Actually, women are sent of post to have babies due to lack of space. 11 babies dying in 3 years? Really?
    Let me tell you. If ppl are that concerned, they can go to Lowes, or HD and get a kit to test the drywall. They can test water. And yes, the lowest bidding contractor always gets the job, and that goes for civilian jobs, too. Not just military jobs. It very well could be the housing, IDK. I'm not an inspector. BUT, there is NOT a rush of ppl moving off post. Ppl are not on the corners raising hell. AND, 11 babies dying, even with unexplained deaths, in 3 years, that's not such a big deal. Not with the amount of births around here. It's numbers. You are only looking at one number, 11. That's it. You have to look at ALL the info.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• And, civilian builders use 'Chinese drywall', too. Not just military contracted housing builders.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• 11 babies dying, even with unexplained deaths, in 3 years, that's not such a big deal. Not with the amount of births around here. It's numbers. You are only looking at one number, 11. That's it. You have to look at ALL the info.

You try telling those families that their children dying is not a big deal in the face of numbers, go ahead!
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh hell. You know damn well I was NOT saying babies dying was no big deal. That the NUMBER in the amount of YEARS was not a big deal. 11 in 3 years. LOOK at the number of births here. Have you looked into that?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I have, and I've looked at the amount of births total for Army bases world wide vs the number of unknown/accidental deaths Army wide, and I'm sorry 11 in 3 years despite the size of Bragg and the amount of soldiers living on and off post is still too high if it does happen to be something related to just living on that post. I was at Lejeune when it all went down about the water and that went on for 30 years and everybody had the same excuse about numbers then too because of the size of the base and the amount of Marines there and so on and so forth and now the Corps in deep to those families, and every other family that lived there during that time. Does it really have to go on that long before it's decided that this is something to notice?

And how am I supposed to know you don't mean babies dying is not such a big deal when you flat out say that the number of babies dying is not such a big deal?
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• And how am I supposed to know you don't mean babies dying is not such a big deal when you flat out say that the number of babies dying is not such a big deal?

I got the same impression as Blue Collar when I read your post Raine. I thought to myself, "If it was MY child, I think it would be a VERY big deal."
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm telling you, I live here, now, in base housing. People are not moving off base. People are still moving on base. They are still building. Oh, and civilians use 'Chinese drywall', too. And, all builders go with the lowest bidding contractors, that's how money is made.
    I know what it's like to lose a baby, from personal family experience. So no, I was most certainly NOT saying it was no big deal that babies died.
    I read in an article that I think 3000 or so babies are born a year here. That would be 11 in 9000 that died. In talking NUMBERS, that's not a big number. People die of unexplained reasons. Babies die of unexplained reasons. It's sad, and it's horrible. But it happens.
    The Army has done testing. Picerne has done testing. And I think they brought in an independent company to do testing. Anyone out here can go to Lowes or HD to get a kit to test themselves. Cont.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2010