If you just got into a fight

with your MIL, and she called you a "lazy bitch" and then came at you swinging, and the only reason she didn't get to you was bc your DH held her back, what would your reaction be when thanksgiving and christmas comes around and your DH wants to attend the family functions? I DO NOT want to go, and I feel like I have the right to seperate myself from someone who is going to be immature and treat me like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I would let him go alone.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes I would distance myself

Answer by admckenzie at 9:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would not go. I in fact didn't attend anything for several years because of a similar situation. Things are better now. But he was able to go and he did.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would go and kill her with kindness.

Answer by older at 9:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It would be to your best interest to do this showing hubby who the better person is.....

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• JERRY JERRY JERRY
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 9:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• hmmm.... well 1st of all kudos to you for not having her arrested for Assault, but I think I'd skip going to her place. Maybe I'd go see my own family or have a nice quiet T-day at home or at a restaurant this year.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would expect my husband to cook a wonderful meal with me at our home far away from crazy swinging MIL.

You can "be the bigger person" and make up with her at a later date when you still aren't so upset over her attack.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'm going to be at my parent's house for thanksgiving, and he's going to take one of the girls with him. I just don't think it's fair that because of her outburst, now I have to spend Thanksgiving with just one of my kids, because he still wants to go to his aunt's for turkey day. he thinks i'm being selfish and only thinking about myself. what do you think?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• As someone who deals with this type of situation with the MIL frequently, I let my DH know I am not okay with spending the holidays with MIL so either he can take the youngest child and go there while I take the oldest and go to my families or we can do lunch with the MIL, until 2 pm at the latest then we can spend the rest of the day destressing with the rest of the family at my sisters. My husband chose option two and this way not only do we not have to host but it is minimal time to get into it with the MIL but he doesn't have to turn his back on her either and feel horrible about it.
    weirdjojo

Answer by weirdjojo at 9:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010