Go hungry or not?

Have cooked my son breakfast twice this morning and he keep dumping it on the floor. All he eats is cheese grits I fixed him some told him to sit down and eat I turned around for a second to fix him some juice and he dumps the whole bowl in the trash. He then have the nerve to tell me he is ready to eat. Problem is I am out of grits and I don't go grocery shopping until tomorrow so I fixed him some scrambled eggs and cheese toast he threw that on the floor and again said that he was ready to eat. Should I just let him go hungry until lunch which is 4 1/2 hrs from now. I feel kind of bad because we ate dinner a little early yesterday (4:30). He has been crying for the past thirty minutes that he is hungry oh by the way is only 2 years old.

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 9:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with Ballewal..if he's hungry he would have eaten. I would feel bad too..but I think he's trying to "run the show" for lack of a better term. He needs to know not to throw food on the floor..and to eat when it's time to eat. Chances are if you give him something else, he'll throw it on the floor again..since he's done it 2X already. Good Luck!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If he were really hungry he would eat. IMO he's just being a brat.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Let him go hungry, he might eat lunch. He just wants to see how far he can push you.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Let him wait until lunch. He'll be uncomfortable and hopefully learn an important lesson.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If your son is getting ONE GOOD meal a day......that's enough. 2 yr olds typically eat like a bird until they go through a growth spurt.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It sounds like he is testing his boundaries. We have a maternal need to feed our children. My kids have done that so many times and yes, I will let them go until lunch. Maybe I will give a mid morning snack, but I am not going to sit there and play a la carte chef all morning until they eat something. It sounds harsh, but he can't do that to you.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i say make him wait. two times of throwing food on the floor is one more than i would have tolerated. if it were an accident that's one thing but on purpose is a big no-no. my oldest did that at 2 also over a control battle and i made her clean it up. kids love testing their boundaries and seeing how mommy will react when they do this or that. show him that mommy doesn't like this by saying "since you threw your food on the floor, you must not be very hungry. you can wait til snack/lunch time." if you usually give him mid morning snacks i would try again at snacktime, if not just wait til lunch. hopefully he will eat for you then, i know how frustrating and unnerving it is when they don't eat!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It sounds like he is testing you to see how far he can go and what he can get away with. I do think that if he were really hungry he would eat it, and not dump it on the floor/trash. I would make him wait a while before I fixed him something and if he cries he is hungry I'd look him in the eye and say "well if you were hungry you should have ate what I fixed..NOT dump it on the floor! Now you will have to wait to eat until lunch" (although I would fix lunch early and not make him wait 4hrs).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• He will be fine. Let him wait. I do agree with Miz though. Make lunch a bit early.
    chicmom85

Answer by chicmom85 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Um, he can go hungary till lunch, and if he does it again, even once....then he can go till dinner
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010