Is the "mosque" at Ground Zero a place of worship or a community center? They are requesting federal funds . . .

I'm hearing that the "mosque" (I am putting the word in quotes because of the question I'm asking) near Ground Zero isn't a mosque--i.e. a place of worship--but a community center. They're asking for federal funds) http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/22/new.york.islamic.center/index.html?hpt=Sbin) for their rebuilding project.

If it's a straight out community center--as I have been told by at least one person that it is--I don't have a problem with federal funding.  If it's a place of worship, wouldn't their request for federal funds be out of line as a violation of the 1st Amendment?

And what would the reaction be if this community center was associated with either the Jewish or Christian religion?

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 9:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is a community center like a YMCA is. There is a small room that will be available for people to use for prayer services.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Sharif El-Gamal, developer of the proposed Park Place project, confirmed his group has applied for the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. grant.

He said the grant would fund social service programs open to all lower Manhattan residents--such as domestic-violence prevention, Arabic and other foreign language classes--and two multicultural art exhibits.

Grant money would not go to pay for the mosque at the 13-story center two blocks from Ground Zero.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/22/2010-11-22_park51_developers_apply_for_5m_federal_grant_outraging_opponents_of_mosque_near_.html#ixzz167L9tHNx

Although, I believe they have the right to build a mosque/community center, they need to use their OWN money.
    There are many many more important causes in NYC for that grant money and this project IS NOT one of them!
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I admit I'm a little hesitant on this one..., as 'Carpy' said the YMCA does not have prayer rooms, etc... and if they did, then I have a strong feeling people would be a little more outraged to have tax money even build a YMCA center... just seems a little shaky IMHO.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Prove that.

Their board purposely has 2 members of each major religion. Are you suggesting they're going to discriminate against themselves?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with everything carpy has said. Do you also believe that Iran will not make nuclear weapons with their nuclear program because the president "promised" and said he wouldn't?
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I do not agree with the project to begin with so therefore I do not approve of federal funds being used to fund any of it.

Carpy, I am with you. Given the people involved with the project...well I'll just stick with my initial no thank you.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Generally the YMCA does not discriminate based on religion and they do not have "prayer" rooms. I am COMPLETELY against any tax money going to this.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• We ARE BROKE NO!!!!!

This is the B.S that the government wast money on! if people want it there than they should pay for it!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Generally the YMCA does not discriminate based on religion

Neither will the community center which will be open to the public

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

Prove that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2010