this is a 3 part question about IUD birthcontrol..... adult content

Have you had an IUD implant? What kind did you get? Could you feel it/was it uncomfortable in any way?

I've had two friends tell me they knew someone who had to have it removed because they could feel it during sex..... and the other said they had it removed cause she couldnt feel it and was afraid of getting pregnant!

BabeeOnBoard

Asked by BabeeOnBoard at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Health

• I chose the Mirena after my Son was Born because I didn't know the Paragard existed. After 3 years of HELL with the Mirena (and 30lbs of gained weight), I switched to the Paragard and I have felt a million times better since - and I'm even losing weight! (I couldn't lose weight when I was on the Mirena. Paragard has no hormones and minimal to no side effects (aside from a slightly heavier period in SOME cases - not mine, though), the Mirena has hormones and has loads of nasty side effects that affect more women than not. Like every birth control, it depends on how your body reacts to it..but the Paragard is the best way to go!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Oh, you cannot feel the IUD and it isn't too uncomfortable to have inserted. If your man can feel the strings during sex, though, you need to talk to the doc because he should not be able to feel the strings. The strings are what you check every so often to make surebthe IUD is still in place (it isn't common for it to fall out - it depends on how your body reacts - but it is most likely to fall out within the first week after insertion, which is why you should not have sex or use a tampon. The doc should tell you all of that, if you do get it, but I am here, as well..I'm like an IUD veteran. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes.
    Paraguard, 10 year, no hormones.
    No. I never felt it once it was in place.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I decided to get an IUD after I had my second child. I chose the Paraguard because it lasts twice as long as the Mirena and has no hormones. I don't ever feel it and i really didn't have much pain when they put it in.
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 10:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I couldn't lose weight when I was on the Mirena either gained weight broke out with pimples every where. i was 171lbs geting it removed july 2009 today im 130lbs
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• make sure the* Sorry, typing on my cell and tend to hit B instead of the space. lol
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I also got Paraguard because it lasts twice as long and has no hormones. I never tracked my periods prior to this, but it seems to me like they may be a day or two longer. But like I said, I never tracked them so I don't know.

One of my SILs got paraguard and claimed that it made her gain weight. No she's on Mirena and loves it. She recommended that to my other SIL who got it and it made her gain weight and she can't lose it. Different people different experiences. I still think non-hormonal is the way to go.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I've had the Mirena 2 diffrent times after my 3rd child and after my 4th. I hated it both times. I could totally feel it . I wouldn't say durring sex, but otherwise. It felt like it was poking me. My husband could most deffinitly feel it durring sex every time..and said that it felt like a bee sting. I only got it a second time because I talked to my dr. and he said that sometimes it has to with the placement of the IUD. It was the same for me both times. Very uncomfortable feeling. I also noticed weight gain about 15 lbs in the 7 months that I had it the 2nd time. I think that everyone has a different experiance. My sister has had the Mirena for a little over 3 years and loves it.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had the Mirena for 8 months and it was horrible. The LEAST of my problems because of it was being able to feel it during sex. Hubby could feel it, too. My OB that put it in said she clipped the strings as short as she could so that they could still be felt. BS! When I finally had it removed, I asked to see it and the strings were 2-3 inches long! But, like I said, that was the least of my problems from that hellacious piece of plastic.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2010