If people go to heaven when they die, what is the resurrection for? Also what is there to do in heaven? Someone once told me that when the resurrection happens that we'll live on earth making it perfect again. That made more sense to me than just sitting in heaven. Can anyone help me understand? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never thought of it this way..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• think its taken too literally, is a story created based on human understanding, and chances are is nothing we can understand.

I agree, sitting in a green field looking at flowers gets dull real quick
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Totally agree. I have always known this. So what is mainstream Christianity teaching? Good study subject.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree, sitting in a green field looking at flowers gets dull real quick

Is that all your imagination can conjure up? Mine is loaded!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• The Rapture and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ are two different things. Jesus was resurrected after being crucified. The Rapture is what will happen when God the Father sends his Son to bring his people home. If you have read the Bible or done some research, you will find that when we go to Heaven it's not just chilling in some field. There is a big difference between when people die and when the Rapture happens. There will be a big Banquet and we worship and praise the Lord. Heaven will be far beyond anything anyone can comprehend. Think, if God created the beauty that we see around us everyday for us to only be in for a short time, and He plans for us to abide in Heaven with Him forever. How much more amazing will Heaven be!!
    LadyTierney

Answer by LadyTierney at 10:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• In heaven we get to worship with the angels all day and get to be constantly in the presense of the Lord. The reason for the resurrection is exactly what your friend said. When Christ returns He will reign for 1,000 years and we will come back with Him. The world will be perfect and new. If we die now, we go to heaven until that time. Also, in heaven you get to see past loved ones who are there waiting for you :).
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I know. It sounds like such a deadly bore, doesn't it. Singing hymns all day. Stroking the ego of a psychotic deity who could lose his temper and send you on a one-way trip to hell if you aren't kissing his butt the right way. For ALL ETERNITY. Another stint on a newly refurbished earth wouldn't be bad. At least there would be more variety in your eternity. Play with the animals. Eat fruit from the trees (unless he pulls that forbidden fruit scam again!!!!) Redecorate the mansion. Play golf with friends. Someone once observed that people can describe an upcoming trip to the beach in detail, but no one can describe a day in heaven. No one knows what it will look like. Or what activities there will be. Sounds a little iffy. Even hell sounds more interesting!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Some people believe when you die you go straight to heaven. Some believe you don't, that when the world ends we will be resurrected and the earth will be made anew for God's kingdom. It really just depends on what you believe. I personally believe we go straight to heaven when we die. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• When Christians die, our souls go immediately to be in Heaven with Christ. The resurrection happens at the Judgment. Our bodies will be resurrected and those who are in Christ will receive a new body, and those who are not will be condemned to hell. In Heaven, we are in constant worship and fellowship with God. After the new heaven and new earth are created .... it becomes quite a bit more ambiguous as to what we will be doing, but continued worship and fellowship with God will definitely be there.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It sounds like such a deadly bore, doesn't it.

Not really - actually I'm looking forward to it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010