Was I wrong?

My Inlaws and I don't like each other. So I happily ignore them, since they insist on treating me like I'm invisible. That was fine and we stayed out of each others way.

But my sister married my BIL and now she's getting crap from my inlaws and suddenly I'm all up in arms and taking it personally and telling them to back off my baby sister and am alot more vocal than I was for years with them.

My sister can handle things herself, and I can handle when its just me, but this is blood kin and a super sweet woman who doesn't deserve to be called "another bitch from THAT family".

Am I wrong for my speaking up on her behalf. I got this defensive feeling in me right now. Pick on me, but leave my sis alone.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 10:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• its not wrong to defend your sister.....but rember she is going to have to figure out a way of dealing with the IN LAWs just like you did..so you might step back a little and see how she handles things on her own.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No you are not, but remember that in the long run it will affect your marriage so try to defend your sister without offending too much.

Answer by older at 10:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would be up in arms too. Have you talked to your bil and dh about this? I am assuming they are brothers. They could band together to put an end to this.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• What are the husbands doing?? Are they sticking up for you two? They should be the ones sticking up for you and your sister
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think the both of you need to put up a fight, together! Two is better than one, after all. Good for you for standing up for her, though.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Good for you!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I'd be mad too, it's one thing for them to treat you bad, yet another to attack your little sister. Honestly though, let her fight her battles and decide how she wants to handle it. She's an adult, and she and her DH have to do what's best for them. I understand your anger, I do, but she needs to handle this. Love and support her.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i think it is eaier to stand up for your sister, you are used to it, know in your head that you can hanle and have. you also have had years of this, so you know the pain she will be going through and you want to save her this pain that you know is coming

find some time to vent with your sister, be sure to laugh alot

can you two close the door on these toic people, maybe not cut them out all together, but close the door a bit..maybe they would act better if they knew you were closing that door, maybe they would think the door would continue to close if they do not straighten up their act?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Parents are parents and that is that... We all have our faults and you have too ignore them, but sometimes you need to put them in their place, actually their son should end it all.

They need to respect you guys as well as you respect them...

The husbands need to have a talk with them, we love you but we can't let you be disrespectful too our wife. We have to live with them, and we love and appreciate them. You don't have to like them but you need to respect them. IF that don't work, then ignore them, they will get tired and leave it alone... Good luck, I know easier said then done...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think it's natural to defend your family! I think most people will agree with you. I don't care what people call me, but they sure as hell better not talk about my mom or my fiance.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2010