Can I pass it on?

I have an urinary tract infection and on antibiotics. The meds or making me so sick I'm just not able to do my normal duties around the house or make time with my son all I want to do is lay down. Anyways I am 38 wks pregnant and was wondering if I stop taking the meds will I pass it on to my baby? This is the second type of antibiotics I have taken since last week. Had an allergic reation to the first one. Want be able to see my doctor until next week she is out of town.

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 11:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you stop it could lead to kidney infection and possible renal failure. Take the meds

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Try to call the pharmacist....he/she might have a suggestion for you and may be able to contact an on-call doc covering your doctor for you to get the order. Good luck. Do please try to take some sort of meds for it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• If you stop taking the medication, then the stronger bugs you haven't killed yet will take over, and you'll end up with a raging infection, which may mean you can't deliver vaginally when you go into labor, and you'll be in a whole lot worse pain. I agree with butterflyblue-TAKE YOUR MEDS!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Take the meds. That can get out of control quickly. Check with the pharmacy, the on call doctor or wait for your doctor and run your symptoms past them. Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• yes the uti can get in your blood stream a cause you to be sick for long time you need to ask your doc for some elsf.
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:31 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• You will not be able to pass on a bladder infection to your baby. However, stopping your antibiotics can have severe consequences. That is exactly how antibiotic-resistant bacteria occur. Something else you can do to help things along is to get on a good probiotic and take it at the halfway point between the antibiotic doses. Also, taking cranberry pills will change the pH in your urine making it unfavorable for the bacteria to grow. If you're to the point of needing antibiotics, drinking the cranberry juice can actually aid in the growth of the bacteria because of the sugars in it.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 1:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't suggest you stopping without speaking with a doctor or pharmacist. Ir you can't see or speak to your regular dr call an advice nurse. Besides your 38 week's of course your tired , honey. Ask for help I'm sure that you feel bad that you can't spend all the time you can with your lil one before new additon. Ask friends and family for a helping hand . I hope that you start feeling better soon.
    pinkdot

Answer by pinkdot at 2:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Yes take the meds! You dont want it to get worse!
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 6:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2010