WWhat effect do you think having a pet as a child influences a person's development?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• as an Army brat, my cat served as the only steady stable thing in my life besides my parents and was my best buddy since I was 3. I was sooo sad when he wandered off and died in the woods when I was in my teens. I still think about him to this day. They are also a nice escapism from a hectic day.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It nourishes their nurturing side and kindness, and also teaches responsibility.

Answer by older at 11:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It teaches a child about responsibility & love for another. So easy for a child to just think of themselves, and with a pet they have to worry about taking care of it!
    GetawayGirl

Answer by GetawayGirl at 11:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I think so. I know people who never had pets growing up to take care of and they aren't very responsible as adults. I think its good for a child to learn to take care of animals.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree with older. I want my kids to know animals are important too....and they need love and care too.

We are getting my son a bearded dragon for Christmas....oh boy :) lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree that it teaches responsibility and how to care for something. We have a cat now, and we plan to get a dog (once we're in a bigger house).
    Plus, it also helps reduce the risk off asthma and allergies when they're exposed to pet dander at an early age.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It has taught me to hate animals with hair. My school uniform was constantly coated in cat & dog hair. The way my mother would baby them has also taught me to make sure that any animal we have is treated like an animal, not a human. I would get scolded for looking at the stupid dog sideways.

I like anything without hair and in a tank. Our bearded dragon is a perfect pet. No shedding and minimal maintenance.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• They serve as another opportunity to learn about the life cycle, including the permanence of death. If their parents can cope with it (and don't rush out to replace Goldie the Fish with another one that looks the same before the kid finds out...an expenditure of energy I could never be bothered with, personally.)

Our kids were involved in the animal care in a minimal way, since I always felt that the choice (and responsibility) for having pets was mine not theirs. I saw it as an example of care and humane treatment, not their job to do.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I agree it teaches them how to care for something and responsibility, I got a kitten when I was in grade school and she lived a long and happy life, she died a few years ago in her sleep. We have a cat and plan on getting more animals when we have our own house.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It encourages a wide spectrum of loving behavior, there are MANY advantages when kids have pets.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2010