Group B Strep?

I found out today at my doctors that i was tested positive for Group B strep bacteria. Im very concerned and scared for my baby and i, i dont know what to expect and my doctor told me they will put a IV in me when i go into labor or experience any leaking... I wear panty liners and have been leaking the past week or two, yellow discharge, what does that mean .. anything???

JessJos

Asked by JessJos at 11:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its really not a big deal. As long as the Dr's know and they put you on the I.V (antibiotics) then everything will be ok. I was positive with my 2nd and we are ok and just started the IV as soon as I was in labor. They can check your fluid that your leaking to make sure its not your water bag that has broken, but also, the closer to labor the more discharge you have. Good luck and your fine!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• No, it's EXTREMELY common (like, almost 50% of women), and nothing to worry about. I'm sorry they didn't fill you in more. All it means is that they will give you IV antibiotics when you go into labor, so that it doesn't pass to the baby.
    The discharge is likely just the normal discharge you get during pregnancy. It increases over the course of your pregnancy, and it can be A LOT!
    Try not to worry too much! It's an easy fix for them.
    Also be aware that you will test positive for future pregnancies, so you will have the antibiotics if you have more babies, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Well I would ask about the discharge, just give your Dr. a call. As for the Strep B- they will start you on antibiotics right away when you are admitted and things will be fine. They know how to keep your baby from being affected by the Strep B. No worries. It is serious if not treated, so glad they tested you and can take care of it.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had IV penicillin with both of mine. My son was born too fast to get enough from my IV, so he had to have a shot after he was born.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It's super common, don't even worry about it. I know it sounds scary. I think half of all women have it. It's just a normal colonization of bacteria. They can't harm you. The doc will put you on anti-biotics, chances are, you won't even notice they are doing it.

If you are leaking a clear, thin, shiny fluid, you had better call your doc.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• It is very very common for women to have this....with my first my test did not come back in time so they put me on IV antibiotics just in case. The antibiotics caused me to have diarrhea...nice...lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Many of us don't bother to even test. And antibiotics are controversial because of "improved" outcomes.
    Rather than worry, go ahead and do some remedies now and know that it's totally common to have this.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• i tested negative for the bstrep, so im not sure if that's got anything to do with the leakage or not, however, I have been leaking too, but i was tested and it wasn't anatomic fluid, it was my little one sitting on my bladder and actual urine leaking out bit by bit, but the discharge is getting RIDICULOUS now!! Its actually turned from a pale yellow to more of a defined yellow color, im 37 weeks measuring 38, so who knows!! LOL

Good luck!
    expectinggracey

Answer by expectinggracey at 12:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• THANKS GIRLS.. i really apprectiate your comments and i feel a little more relieved now :-) !!
    JessJos

Comment by JessJos (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• have faith in the doc and god
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2010